Feature request - preserve original file modification date. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Feature request - preserve original file modification date.

I wish Cineform would carry over the creation and modified date value of the original input files.

For event coverage and working with solid state AVCHD cameras - one disadvantage is the filenames across multiple media cards are not unique. Hence it is often easier to organize clips in chronological order using the file's modified date.

The problem when introducing Cineform into the workflow is that the output file fom Cineform all have the modified dates set to when the cineformed files are created, hence destroying the ability to organize files by chronological order. Furthermore, I simply do not foresee any scenario where the date at which a cineform file was created is useful, so there is no harm by preserving the original modified date (or make it a check-box option?) Let me know if this requset makes sense to you. Thanks!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is a good idea, although maybe a tricky to implement, more likely the original dates could be stored as metadata.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure which metadata you're referring to. Is this a universal metadata that can be read by all NLEs ?

I use Vegas and I know the media bin displays file system information which is why the modified date has significance.. Can Vegas be setup to ignore file system information and rely only on metadata?(prolly a question for the Vegas forum)

I know there are tools to modify files at the file system level such as create or modified date. I'm not sure what is involved in changing that content but can the Cineform engine be modified include a similar functionality so as its creating a new cineform file, an additional step is added to modified the file information?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Read my blog:

CineForm Insider: Displaying Metadata

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase