DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   First Light update (Windows.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/469071-first-light-update-windows.html)

David Newman December 7th, 2009 01:16 PM

First Light update (Windows.)

Here are some new features without waiting for the next build. A request came in about week ago to have First Light export .look files, enabling FL to export looks for cameras (SI-2K) and on location monitoring (your look enable monitor), also allows First Light users to share there creative efforts easily. While not a replacement for a tool like SpeedGrade OnSet, still useful feature to have. Other changes are to First Light's overlay layout engine, which has gained a few more controls in this update (with more to come.)

No installer, just download, unzip and place the contents over the old versions within ...Program Files\CineForm\Tools. Make sure you have at least v4.1.3 installed first of Neo/Prospect HD/4K/3D.

download link http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/NewTools12072009.zip

Gary Brun December 7th, 2009 01:55 PM

Hi David.
Thats great thanks.
Would be great to see a place where we can view online and able to download various looks that people have created.

David Newman December 7th, 2009 02:43 PM

I know, I want that. Anybody want to volunteer?

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 03:25 PM

Great new feature to export the Metadata layouts, as well as export the looks.

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 03:41 PM

Hello David,

I applied the new update into the folder specified. When I now launch After Effects with my clips in a project I just been working on beforte the Firstlight update. The clips which had Firstlight applied to.

I am now getting this error in After Effects project which had my clips with Firstlight settings applied, the

After Effects error: (4) reading frame from file "z:\file.avi"
(86 :: 2)

I am running After Effects cs4 under 64bit Vista business with sp2.

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 03:44 PM

Hello David,

I was getting this error it seems when the Metadata was set to Overlay in Firstlight, I took the overlay off the clips and now no error in After Effects.

David Newman December 7th, 2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Baker (Post 1457405)
Great new feature to export the Metadata layouts, as well as export the looks.

Of course loading metadata layouts is still to come.

David Newman December 7th, 2009 04:49 PM

I'm not getting issues with AE and overlays. Note: overlay will not show in 16/32-bit modes (yet.)

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 04:57 PM

Hello David,

I re-checked my After Effects comp was 16bit, so that would explain maybe this error I got?

Also where should I place new looks files for Firstlight to access?

David Newman December 7th, 2009 05:11 PM

The 16-bit comp should just ignore the overlay, like it does here -- not likely the issue.

For look export, anywhere on disk. To add them back to First Light as a new look, simply double click on the new .look file.

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 05:58 PM

Hello David,

I think you are right, the files were dynamic linked files from Adobe Premeire pro with my AFter Effects compositions.

Bringing in a straight CIneform file into After Effects seems fine now. Perfect the way to load the looks :)

By the way, I just colour graded an entire music video in Firstlight, very, very, powerful making adjustments as the clip plays. FirstLight is an amazing time saving tool.

I am very excited about your new features.

David Newman December 7th, 2009 06:06 PM

I think too few realize how easy it is the finish a color grade in First Light alone, as it is today. With the Tangent Wave integration coming along, color correcting live within your NLE becomes possible. Run Premiere or FCP (platform of choice) with First Light in the background and the Tangent Wave control surface can change active metadata while playing in the NLE.

Leo Baker December 7th, 2009 06:16 PM

Hello David,

I was looking at the Tangent Wave a few months ago, and seeing the news about Intergration I am now going to buy it in the new year for hands on colour grading.

If I may I thought up some ideas for Firstlight, such as mask options, and keyframing of shapes, like rectangles, elipses, rotation, feathering.

For example on this music video I used Firstlight to grade my image, then I used After Effects to mask the hair of the singer, and increased red/orange into the hair by creating a mask, then I keyframed and feathered this.

So maybe I am not sure if Firstlight would be suited for this, but it could come in useful such a feature to create splines/masks and multipe grades.

Gary Brun December 8th, 2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1457378)
I know, I want that. Anybody want to volunteer?

It cant be that difficult to produce.
Its working out the correct "work-flow" to make it work easy.

The way I see it you will need a "before" and "after" look and this would require two screen shots of the image. It will also require a unique name or number.
The last thing you want is for someone to download a "look" and over write one they all ready have.

If people are willing to take the time to save two image files I can give it a go.
So the steps would be.... upload two separate image files and a "look" file.
Do others agree with this or can think of another way of doing it??

Here is one of my databases for images that we built.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/sho...2&limit=recent
It has literally over 20,000 objects on it and works very quickly.

You just have to picture the idea with the "looks" and not so many text fields etc.
Hope you understand what I mean.

Gary