AVCHD problem with Export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #1
New Boot

AVCHD problem with Export

I am currently editing avchd footage from a Canon hf11 video camera. I converted the footage with Neoscene (last month's version) and am editing with Prospect (trial of December's version). The footage was originally shot witht high quality MPX 1920 progessive. I imported it into a 1920p CF sequence in CS4. There was always a red bar above all the footage and it didn't quite playback at full speed but I put that down to my slow (these days) q 6600 processor (I understand CF is processor and not graphic card dependent). So far, so good.

But,now, when I go to export the footage from CS4, I have massive problems. I want to use the Cineform AVI format in Media Encoder. But, when I do, much of the footage is of poor quality. There are lines and bars with any movement within the frame. And there is what I can call a stutter - if you advance the rendered footage in the Cineform AVI exported file one frame at a time, you see the action on the scene move one frame forwards then next frame back. On static shots all is fine. On moving shots (a hand moving in an interview, for example) it's terrible.

BTW, if you advance the timeline in CS4 one frame at a time, all appears as it should.

After doing umpteen tests with every possible combination I could image (changing seqence settings, export settings etc), I discovered two things:

1. if I export to h.264 I get better quality.

2. anything with movement AND color correction (either by CS4 OR Cineform from within CS4) creates problems, even in h264. So, now I am only color correcting static scenes and only exporting in H264 format.

Is all this normal? What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I really, really like the Cineform color correction within CS4 - it's simplicity and power are great.
Stephen Timpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Put fill a trouble ticket Support Center , I've have not heard of this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase