Advantage of Windows 7 over Vista for cs4 and Cineform? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advantage of Windows 7 over Vista for cs4 and Cineform?

Hello,

I am on a HP xw860, with 2x Quad core Xeon 5450's 3ghz with 8gb 4x2gb of ram.

I am looking to get Windows 7 Business/pro 64bit. To run with Cineform Prospect HD and Adobe Production Premium cs4.

Any advantages running Windows 7 64bit over Windows Vista 64bit? I have Vista 64bit already. Is it really worth getting a copy of Windows 7?
Leo

Last edited by Leo Baker; January 13th, 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I doubt you'd notice much difference,especially if you've already installed Vista SP2. Windows 7 benchmarks a little faster, but not by much. I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit to get my Epson 3200 scanner to work correctly. While it sort of worked in Vista64, it was crippled. Running it in Windows 7 virtual xp mode restored full functionality.

I also upgraded because my Vista64 was corrupted after installing SP2, so it wasn't working at 100% anymore. Upgrading to Windows 7 totally fixed my system. As soon as I knew that 7 drivers were available for all my hardware and software, I upgraded, and I'm glad I did.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Presently, CS4, CF, and all of my related software/hardware are working splendedly on my Intel i7/Vista 64-SP2/12GB system. Consequently, I am not interested in moving to Win 7 at this time. I can't see a compelling advantage for my current situation.
On the other hand, surely Win 7 is the future. If I was purchasing a new system, or if I rebuilt this system with a new OS install, I would go with Win 7 64 and accept having to sort my way thru the driver and software compatability issues.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Main advantage to Win7... is "THE GodMode"!!

Go to your desktop, right-click and create a new folder and paste the exact text line below in as the name...and presto, it creates a nifty new icon and YOU HAVE POWER! You suddenly have Win7 GodMode with it's 272 shortcuts to tweak your system as you like. Thank you to the developers that revealed it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Don't worry, it's safe...but really only for Win7...sorry Robert...

Last edited by Stephen Armour; January 15th, 2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Change "shortcut" to "folder" like John said ....
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually GodMode is created by creating a "new folder" and giving it the name given above.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Tnx for the correction John, I changed my post to read "folder". That's what happens when I don't check posts...

Last edited by Stephen Armour; January 15th, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I was on Vista 32 bit and switched to Win 7 64 bit. Stability is much better. Whether that's Win 7 vs Vista or 64 vs 32 bit I don't know.

But the are also some new features in Win 7 such as search, ability to preview AVCHD files in Explorer, etc. which generally which make the whole PC experience significantly better.
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Does the Blackmagic Intensity card have functionality with Win 7 and Cineform Prospect HD for capture? Thanks
Michael Panfeld is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase