New System Recommendation, Please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New System Recommendation, Please.

Hi,

I currently own ProspectHD and will be purchasing both a new system and also upgrading to Premiere CS4 within the next week.

I really am not up to date (or even well-versed for that matter) regarding current systems, but know that Windows 7 likely will be a default OS for most new systems i purchase.

If anybody has the time, would you mind listing the most optimum system specs I could purchase currently that would facilitate an optimum work flow between Propsect HD and Premiere CS4. My final output usually is DVD/Blu-Ray. I also utilize After Effects/Photoshop in my workflows.

And what vendors would you recommend I purchase from?

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject, I really appreciate it!
-Marc
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

You don't mention if you are currently set up with anything else.

If you are currently functional with CS3, stay there until CS5 and purchase your system as those specs become more firm.

Prospect and CS4 do not play well.

Search this board for and the Premiere board for the Mercury Playback Engine, and that will clue you in on the latest news for CS5.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
You don't mention if you are currently set up with anything else.

If you are currently functional with CS3, stay there until CS5 and purchase your system as those specs become more firm.

Prospect and CS4 do not play well.

Search this board for and the Premiere board for the Mercury Playback Engine, and that will clue you in on the latest news for CS5.
Woops, yes I am currently editing on a Quad Core XP machine which i bought from Circuit City before they closed down. And basically, it's been a nightmare on this machine, so I NEED to buy a new machine ASAP.

So, say I stay with CS3 and Prospect HD, then would it work with most any high-end machine that's out there?? Will that combo work the current version Windows 7 that is available?

Thanks again
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

PHD + CS3 has been upgraded to work with Windows 7 (even 64-bit -- which I recommend -- required for CS5.) Get an i7 with triple banked memory (6GB minimum, 12GB if you have the budget.)
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Major Player

First, you need to check this out:
The Genesis Project: Technology Sneek Peek: Adobe® Mercury Playback Engine

I've never been one to be anxiously awaiting anything that Adobe does, but this could be a true game changer.

IF the conflicts that existed between CS4 and Cineform continue on into CS5, it is not going to be as much of a performance problem. Cineform is always going to be invaluable because of First Light, not to mention the technical benefits of having a true interframe codec for the NLE, robust encoding for multi-generational work, etc..

Build to host CS5. Spendy, yes.... but robust enough that even Premiere may be able run smoothly and reliably on it.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
PHD + CS3 has been upgraded to work with Windows 7 (even 64-bit -- which I recommend -- required for CS5.) Get an i7 with triple banked memory (6GB minimum, 12GB if you have the budget.)
Thanks for the quick responses again.

So to sum up what i'm learning: Avoid any CS4 upgrades, wait till CS5 comes out. And when I purchase a system now, buy something with Windows7/64 bit with triple banked memory (I will google this, cause I have no idea what that means). Then, I will just reinstall all my current software on this new system, and just wait until CS5 comes out.

Btw, any recommendations for graphics cards if I am using PHD/CS3???

Thanks again, Marc
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Certain processors like the Core i7 and the upcoming Core i9 require memory in banks of three DIMMs for full speed. Older processors used banks of two. Checking the task manager during transcoding shows 8 cpus running at 85% on the Core i7.

I'm using CS4 and NeoScene on a Core i7-920 with 12 GB of RAM, 6 DIMMs of 2 GB each. It transcodes HDV for BD-R faster than realtime (1.33X). I'm using an ATI Radeon 4850 graphics card. With the new CS4 workflow, I edit in Premiere and don't render the timelines. I then open Encore and import the Premiere timelines and author a BD-R disc. After I burn the BD-R, I have Encore take the same project and burn a DVD without changing the Encore project. CS4 uses the same transcoding engine, the Adobe Media Encoder, in both programs, so there's no advantage to transcoding in Premiere, unless it's to export a WMV or Flash video file.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc de Jesus View Post
Btw, any recommendations for graphics cards if I am using PHD/CS3???

Thanks again, Marc
Buy according what what is required for the CS5 suite. Basically, the fastest NVidia graphics cards made. And keep a fire extinguisher handy to blow the fire off your credit card.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hello David,

So this means that Adobe Premeire pro cs3, will work fine under Windows 7 64bit? Which version Premiere Pro 3.1.1 with the latest Prospect HD Beta?

Thanks,

Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The good thing as of now is that with CS5, it doesn't appear you need to get a Quadro graphics card in order to do faster rendering/exporting. It appears that even a Nvidia 285 will work. I'd get a i7 processor, 6+GB of memory, Windows 7 64bit, couple of hard drives (SSD if you have the $) in a RAID 0.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Baker View Post
So this means that Adobe Premeire pro cs3, will work fine under Windows 7 64bit? Which version Premiere Pro 3.1.1 with the latest Prospect HD Beta?
All versions Premiere Pro CS3 work. The Win7 patch came to Prospect came in version 4.1.6.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Major Player

Keep in mind that if you are building for CS5 you need to use an approved Nvidia card. ATI's stuff won't work for the Mercury Playback Engine, which is what everyone is looking forward to. See the link above for more info on that.

I just built an i7 machine and it is fantastic. Such a huge upgrade over my Core2 Quad. Definitely go with 12GB RAM, it's worth the upgrade.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Craig,

What are the specs of your new system? I'm using a Core2 Quad and suffering a good bit at the moment. What Nvidia card did you put in there: Are you aware of anything coming down the road in the immediate future that would be worth waiting for?

Many thanks,
David
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Major Player

David..... just to clarify, acceleration from the approved Nvidia cards will not be integrated until CS5. CS4 does not benefit.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase