another editor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Trustee

another editor

I'm using CS4 and cineform - I'd like to import my tapes through HDlink and set up a project then hand it over to another editor (on a USB drive) to do some preliminary work before he hands it back to me for completion.
can he use CS4 to edit files without cineform?
does he need the free decoder?

is anyone doing anything like this?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you expect that editor to give you Cineform files back, he'll need to buy the program. If they just need to read the files, the free decoder is all they need.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Trustee

Surely not if he doesn't need to export? - he will simply be handing back the partially completed project on a USB drive. All I really want him to do is place clips in various bins & create some basic sequences so I can finish off
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The free decoder install (Neo Player) will be all that is needed.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
Surely not if he doesn't need to export? - he will simply be handing back the partially completed project on a USB drive. All I really want him to do is place clips in various bins & create some basic sequences so I can finish off
Right, if he doesn't need to export, then all he needs is the reader.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Trustee

great to know that would work, pity the editor fell through :-(

I've got someone else interested but he uses FCP - is there any way he can edit the bulk of a project and then had it back to me for exporting and DVD production?
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Quote:
great to know that would work, pity the editor fell through :-(

I've got someone else interested but he uses FCP - is there any way he can edit the bulk of a project and then had it back to me for exporting and DVD production?
Absolutely. Did exactly this for our film last fall. Editor on FCP, me on Vegas.

You'll need one thing or possibly two.

1. Purchase a copy of MacDrive by SourceFour. This will ease your pain considerably in reading mac formatted drives. Just have him work as normal, finish the project, and export a final version to the mac formatted external. Then you plug it into your PC and it looks just like an NTFS drive to your system. Couldn't be easier.

2. IF you will be doing final color, then you can just ask him to give you ProRes output if you've got Quicktime 7.6 or later installed. If HE will be doing final color, then do yourself a favor and have both of you install the Avid DNxHD codec. So far, it's the ONLY way I've found to preserve the color without gamma shift for material coming from Mac over to PC. Works perfectly, and it's free and very high quality. My editor loved this workflow. Other than that installation, he didn't have to change his normal workflow. For him it was like working with another Mac.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase