Cineform/Premiere Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform/Premiere Audio

I'm working on an I7 920, Win 7ult64, 12g ram, fx3800 machine with Prospecthd and premierecs3.

While playing back real time on the timeline, i get random skips in the audio from time to time, basically not smooth playback unlike the smooth audio playback I get from my Powermac running FCP at work.

Is this a result of using the onboard audio from my Asus mobo?? Should I buy a seperate audio card to ensure smooth audio playback??? If so, which card would be recommended?

Thanks for any help! Appreciate all the advice i'm getting here.
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Marc - This issue goes back quite a while (2 years) with certain combinations of hardware. I have almost the same system, win7 cs3, with exception of an FX4800 and i960 with Asus mobo. I recently built this new system and just started editing on it today but now finding the dreaded audio skipping issue cropping up again and I happened to see your post.

The fix in the past was to use a different audio driver (asio4all)
See: ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver Then cineform fixed it in a prior release and the asio4all driver was not required. At this point the asio4all is not working for me anyway and I am experiencing audio pops and skipping on the timeline. I have disabled my onboard soundcard as I am using USB speakers which worked fine with my previous Abit mobo and Vista 64. I will play around with some more configurations to try and find a cure.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

btw, im using an asus mobo as well, the p6 deluxe
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Rich thanks for the response. I'm assuming though, that the pops and skips dont show up when exported out right?? I have yet to master, so thats why im asking.

So even if I got an audio card, that probably wouldnt make a difference? Anyway, good luck with trying to find a solution.. if it doesnt affect the final exported master, then it will just be an annoyance i will have to live with...

oh wait, are you not getting these pops with the usb speakers?? if not than, i may just go that route for the time being.
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Major Player

interesting, your mobo is the same chipset as mine, LGA1366 (X58). I read some older threads recently with audio issues and asus mobo problems. Anyway, exporting seems fine, no glitches. CS3 works better with the new 2.10 version of ASIO4ALL, but there are still pops and skips on timeline playback which is annoying.

I tried USB speakers, disabling on board sound as well as taking a standard audio signal direct from the motherboard but it doesn't matter what I do. I am thinking a seperate sound card will make no difference. So far I am unable to duplicate this issue using CS3 templates only in cineform templates, I will have to open a cineform ticket on this.
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

earlier today i cut together footage from my 5dmkii to an .mp3 track and got audio sync issues. it seems that there was a delay between the sound and what actually was playing on the monitor anytime i played live from the timeline. which of course, isn't good, because im trying to time the cuts to the beats of the track. after 4 attempts of editing, exporting and viewing, im finally uploading it to vimeo rite now, to see if the export is truly in sync.

i actually opened up a ticket on this earlier today, so hopefully they have a reliable solution, otherwise, editing will get annoying. if i hear anything noteworthy i'll keep u posted
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I exported a short 30 sec sequence with about 12 clips, sequenced to an audio track,
initial results seem the video us lagging behind possibly because I cranked the audio buffers in the ASIO4ALL driver (To stop the skipping) and my timline my not be accurately synced due to the large buffers. I have a cineform ticket open also, sounds like the same set of issues.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Rich,

Dunno if this helps, but, after a quick test, premiere cs4 seemed to be spot on with some quick cuts to audio beats and significant reduction in the skips/pops. but then again, this came after spending just 30 minutes on premiere cs4. btw, used cs3 to capture the clips.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the update Marc, I think its something to do with the audio buffers in CS3 and the asus mobo, it's better with the ASIO4ALL driver but still glitchy. I still have a cineform ticket open, no problems when using premier templates without cineform however. I don't have a license for CS4, I figured with so many issues I would wait for CS5 to arrive, it would be nice to get the audio sorted out but in the mean time I will have to hobble along.
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Oh yah, on my ticket they recommended "go to cineform folder in the windows start menu and in the tools folder, click on the option that says 'desktop playback - fast'." I dunno if u've already done that or if it would even help ure situation.

I was gonna wait till CS5 too, but able to get a pretty good deal on the student edition of produciton premium (not bad for taking a tennis class lol).
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase