Adobe Media Encoder/Prospect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Media Encoder/Prospect

Quick question. Im trying 2 export 5D footage converted to ProspectHD to the h.264 format (for vimeo) (using cs4 premium).

So after selecting export media, anytime I use the.h624 settings (hdtv1080 29.97) the resulting picture has a noticeable stuttering frame rate playback, however, when i use the Quicktime setting and choose the h264 encoding options with the same settings, the resulting export is perfect.

Are there different brands of h.264??? And this is why I am getting different results? And is there a better way to output to h264 than what i'm doing? Thanks for any help in advance.
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Windows 7 mp4 player

Marc, on my system I can't play mp4 smoothly. But mp4 files from CS4 sent to Vimeo work okay (at least they always have in the past).

I'm struggling with this, I have just upgraded from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7. Previously I used CoreAVC and played mp4 files with Windows Media Player. There is a trick required for this when ProspectHD is installed, see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...ospect-hd.html

However I can't get CoreAVC to work with Windows 7's Media Player 12. It is supposed to work. I wonder if Cineform has changed ProspectHD from Medialooks so the unregister string doesn't work?

Windows 7/Media Player 12 plays MOV files very smoothly, and I agree exports with the Quicktime and H.264 play smoothly. But I get quite a bit of noise with this export, to the point I don't want to use it for Vimeo.

(Edit: ProspectHD does still have the Medialooks QTsourcePXT.dll and the regsvr32 unregisters it. But CoreAVC doesn't work.)

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; February 28th, 2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: edit note
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

charles, mp4's play pretty good on my windows media player for me. then again i built myself a brand new system centered around the i7920, 12gs of ram, fx3800 & win7 64.

anyway, currently, when exporting for vimeo out of premierecs4, using AME, and prospecthd (either shot with my jvchd200 @ 24p or my 5D @30P which i notice cineform converts to 29.97)... I have had no success going export>media>then selecting the h.264 settings as I get the aforementioned stuttering frame rate.

BUT, i do get great success going export>media>quicktime>then selecting h.264 under the codec settings. This method has produced an export that plays fine.

I'm sure there is a reason(probably lack of knowledge, lol), but i'm quite baffled as to why the first method doesn't work and the second does. Im guessing two different types of h.264 methods.
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
However I can't get CoreAVC to work with Windows 7's Media Player 12. It is supposed to work. I wonder if Cineform has changed ProspectHD from Medialooks so the unregister string doesn't work?
First, you have to see if CoreAVC is working at all. Try installing Media Player Classic:

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Video Player

and see if it uses CoreAVC on your PC. Make sure that you check the options to make CoreAVC the default decoder and also to display the taskbar icon. I'm pretty sure that under Windows 7, Windows Media Player uses its own codecs to display mp4 files.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
First, you have to see if CoreAVC is working at all. Try installing Media Player Classic...
Thanks Jay, I somehow missed there was a 64 bit version of Media Player Classic. I installed it and set up CoreAVC and it works as expected. Actually Media Player Classic also plays MP4 files smoothly without CoreAVC.

Yes, Windows 7/WMP12 also plays MP4 files, but as Marc noticed it won't play the files smoothly that come from the PPro CS4 H.264 encoder. (Media Player Classic does play these smoothly.)

And I have still not been able to get CoreAVC to run with WMP 12. I was going to file a trouble ticket with Corecodec but there are so many people already complaining about their Release 2.0 and Windows 7 that I will just wait for the next release (and use Media Player Classic).
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase