Canon 5d MK II convert and Export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 5d MK II convert and Export

Hello,

I filmed some 1980x1080 film clips on the Canon 5d mk II, I converted in Prospect HD HDLINK.

I set the frame rate as no change, what shall I set the field order to? Automatic, Progressive, I tested Progressive and Automatic.

My original MOV files from the memory card when I ipen them in GSpot software they say 30.00fps.

When I then open my MOV clip that I just converted in HD LINK into a AVI file 1980x1080 Oprigressive, with no frame rate change.

1. GSpot then report that the Cineform AVI file is now 29.970fps. Is this correct and are the Cineform files now supposed to be 29.976 not 30fps?

2. In Premiere pro cs4 with the updates and the latest Prospect HD as listed on Cineform's download page, should I then be working in a Cineform Premiere pro preset of 1080x1920 29.976fps progressive project?

3. I applied Firstlight grades of each clip in my test project, when I make the adjustments in Firstlight and have Premiere pro cs4 open with my clips which I have inthe dit with the looks applied, I get strobing withthe look playing then jumping back to the original file with no firstlight grade applied. I close Premiere pro, open the project and the clip plays through with the entire Firstlight look applied.

4. I export the edit as a Cineform avi, in Adobe media encoder it has the option of I and I and P frames. I have been using I, I noticed when my CIneform avi has been exported the edit which had my looks applied to my clips.

I then play the outputted avi Cineform movie clip and it has the original footage I used but with no firstlight adjustments?

Thanks,

Leo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

0. Set you field order to progressive for DLSR video sources.

1. Yes, we convert to 29.97 as 30.0 is non-standard, include audio correction to match. This fixes so many post issues when do this by default. If you want to stay at 30.0 use the 0.1% speed conversion in HDLink.

2. Always use a preset with a frame-rate that matches your imported footage, so 1920x1080 29.97 progressive.

3. A CS4 bug, we couldn't turn off cached frames, even through the Adobe SDK. CS3 and CS5 are fine. CS4 is broken, so you just have to play enough frames so that Premiere forgets the cached frames. It is cosmetic but annoying.

4. I don't understand this report. Are you saying you get no FL correction in the output file? I can't imagine who that could happen. I use CS4 + Prospect on my personal project and I only use First Light for color correct these days, no issue. I just repeated this with the beta release 4.2.1.238, still no issue. You should contact support on this one, and arrange for a remote session so they can try your PC for themselves.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello David,

Thank you for the reply, you have clarified my points. I just re-tested exporting out a firlight graded series of clips again and I am getting the same issue, weird as I never had this issue before.

I have opened a support ticket and explained the issue.

Thanks again for your help as always it's much appreciated.

Leo
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello David,

The export to Cineform from Adobe Media Encoder in Premiere pro cs4, worked fine with the firstlight changes previous under Vista 64bit Business for me, the only change since then is that I am now running Windows 7 64bit Professional on my HP XW8600.

What else can I try? I opened a ticket and got a reply

This is likely due to the main problem with CS4. We can't update the files in the frame buffer. CS4 caches frames in the timeline and they don't update after making changes in First Light. This is one of the main reasons we have quit working on supporting CS4 and have moved on to CS5. This bug has been resolved in CS5. For now, there is not much we can do for you in CS4.

If you know of anything I can try that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That reply in not related to your issue though. The caching error is for scrubbing alone, not exports which work fine. Jake know this, you will need to restate your question. Sorry I can't tell him directly, as he just left to be on the road to LA.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello David,

As a test I decided to re-install my computer, I installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit, then my Nvidia Display drivers, Sound, then Windows Updates. Quicktime 64bit/I-Tunes.

Adobe cs4 Production premium, Adobe updates, then the 237 of Prospect HD. I then tried to export my edit again to Cineform AVI from Adobe Media Encoder.

I am getting no Firlight corrections, however if I export out as a H264 Quicktime for example using the YouTube HD preset, the Firstlight look is baked into the exported file?

Thanks,

Leo
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You need support to do a remote session to see what could be going wrong, as that makes no sense.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase