Aspect HD 3.2 now available. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #31
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes this extremely confusing. The problem is the VfW can't support VSRGB so what you are seeing is a bug. When exporting to VfW Aspect was supposed to turn the VSRGB mode off. The point is you are supposed to get an identical output to what you see on the timeline and when you combine VFRGB and VFW you don't, you just happen to like the look. :) I'm clearly going to have to create a white paper on this. The point is you seeing an enhancement that is not on the timeline, which is bad and will be fixed very shortly -- we want WYSIWYG. You can have the same enhancement through color correction so there is no loss of features.
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #32
Major Player

Thanks David, two questions, how do I make the vsRGB change? and at this point, your saying to export to cineform HD export and adjust contrast, is that after or before the vsRGB change you mentioned that needs to be made. I promise I won't beat this horse any longer after this :)

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There is no change you need to make. This bug only applies to work-flow we didn't intend anyone to use (which is the VfW export over the CineForm exporter.) If you wish to use VFW export (like uncompressed) simply turn the "Use Video Systems RGB" off from within the "Playback Setting" window. To see the extra headroom for vsRGB you should color correct using the scopes. As you adjust the control and brighten you will see more detail coming out of the blacks (and whites.) Note: If vsRGB is off no more detail comes out of the extremes. Once you have achieved the look you are after simply export using "CineForm HD Export."
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #34
Major Player

Thanks David!

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
The CineForm HD codec is 4:2:2 not 4:4:4 (yet.) When you do the downscale to SD you do have 4:4:4 precision in image data before compression. As compressed deliverables are 4:2:2 or lower we use 4:2:2 on export.
David I am confused about the 4:4:4 claim made with the 3.2 release....are you simply referring to the fact that once the Cineform engine hands off 4:2:2 to the Premiere Pro engine that the Premiere Pro engine is internally processing it at 4:4:4 RGB? If so then how is that different than before?
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #36
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not making any new claims. The original discussion that brought this up was about creating uncompressed 4:4:4 AVIs for DVD mastering, I was pointing out that was unnessary as the action of the down scale will give you a 4:4:4 chroma density before it goes to it DVD target (which is 4:2:0.) Aspect HD 3.2 doesn't add 4:4:4 on output, and yes it has always used 4:4:4 internal processing. The new feature was superior scaling algorithms that made uncompressed export and After Effects processing redundant for DVD creation.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks, just was a bit confused. If I understand what you are saying is basically true for any app that scales HDV... there is enough chroma info certainly to support 4:2:2 and a tad more than enough to support 4:4:4.
I really think this is why many are geting great results using software downscaled HDV to make SD DVDs.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase