DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   trying first light but not succeeding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/475108-trying-first-light-but-not-succeeding.html)

Serena Steuart March 18th, 2010 09:34 PM

trying first light but not succeeding

Reading the docs FirstLight seems very easy to use, but not working for me (W7 & Vista). Opens fine, drag cineform encoded clips across (copy/paste causes program to stop) and selected clip shows in viewing window. Can move timeline slider to scan the clip, but play/pause is ineffective. Clicking "file" brings down a very light window without a "save as", but new,open, recent, exit seem to work. Data base window is blank (docu shows "db") and I can click all the little tags and wave all the RH sliders without having any effect on the displayed window. What have I missed?

David Newman March 18th, 2010 09:44 PM

File a trouble ticket with support, as that is clearly not work. I think to try, run it with Administrator privileges, that can help with Vista/7.

Serena Steuart March 18th, 2010 11:03 PM

A trouble ticket will need a statement of a specific problem, and I seem to have something pretty vague. FirstLight works just fine in many other places (especially back in your lab) so if I repeat my description above, they'll have no idea what I'm talking about!

OK, the trouble is that it must be run with administrator privileges.

Serena Steuart March 19th, 2010 12:58 AM

Problem solved. I was running NeoHD v4.20 b237. latest version has none of the problems I experienced. LUTs are great.

Well, do need admin priv under W7, but seemingly not under Vista.

Brant Gajda March 19th, 2010 06:58 AM

^^

Were those on separate machines or did you do an upgrade? If you did an upgrade of Win 7 over Vista, the UAC is reset back to highest levels. Even on a fresh install, the UAC is locked down tight. You just need to go into the UAC control and make some tweeks. Personally since I'm an IT guy, I turn it off completely.

Laurence Kingston March 19th, 2010 11:31 AM

Fore Neo Scene users it is a little akward. To get it running right you need to uninstall your paid version of Neo Scene and install Neo HD as a demo. Kind of scary when all you want to do is try it out. For anyone worried about this however, your Neo Scene registration will still be valid when you uninstall Neo HD and reinstall Neo Scene. I can see where this would scare people away from even trying it.

Roger Wilson March 19th, 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brant Gajda (Post 1501922)
^^

Were those on separate machines or did you do an upgrade? If you did an upgrade of Win 7 over Vista, the UAC is reset back to highest levels. Even on a fresh install, the UAC is locked down tight. You just need to go into the UAC control and make some tweeks. Personally since I'm an IT guy, I turn it off completely.

While UAC may seem to be a hinderance, it actually helps to protect you from maleware, spyware, and viruses. When UAC is turned off there is no warning when something gets installed from a webpage you're visiting. With UAC turned on you get the warning that something is happening and you have an opportunity to stop it before it does harm.

Serena Steuart March 20th, 2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brant Gajda (Post 1501922)
^^

Were those on separate machines or did you do an upgrade?

Separate machines.

Brant Gajda March 20th, 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wilson (Post 1502200)
While UAC may seem to be a hinderance, it actually helps to protect you from maleware, spyware, and viruses. When UAC is turned off there is no warning when something gets installed from a webpage you're visiting. With UAC turned on you get the warning that something is happening and you have an opportunity to stop it before it does harm.

UAC does nothing more than say something wants to do something on your computer. Does it tell your anything earth shattering or specific? No. Unless you know everything going on, the UAC is a annoyance. Best rule of thumb is NEVER install anything or accept anything from the internet unless you know for certain the source. If you don't, you don't install/accept anything from it. I've yet to have a problem with my computers.

Also, the UAC was created to cover MS butt. That way they can say that you were warned. But if you were going to click yes anyways, the UAC wasn't going to prevent anything in the first place.