Some First Light Quirks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Some First Light Quirks

I have found First Light to be a wonderful tool, but it exhibits some quirks on my system. I want to find out if it's just me. I'm using the newest version with Pr CS4 and 64-bit Win7.

NLE Sync never works at first. After I open it, I have to manually open a clip. After switching back and forth a few times from Premiere to FL, it will show the right clips.

The other "problem" is the way that adjustments are displayed in Premiere. After making an adjustment in FL, then switching to Premiere and playing the clip in the timeline, the image flashes quickly back and forth from the old settings to new. After about 5 -10 seconds of playing, everything settles down, but it is jarring at first. I have a suspicion this has something to do with caching, but it would be nice for it not to happen.

Are these bugs, or is something funny with my system?

As long as I'm ranting (not really)I'd really like a way to increase the size of the preview window in FL, or at least to have it use all the real estate allocated to it. The image only fills about half the preview window. I realize many people are using an output card and an external monitor, but my system is just 2 monitors on a 8800GT, so I canīt get a full-screen output.

Thanks for everybody's help.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For NLE Sync to work, you do first have to have the same files imported into FirstLight.

The Premiere playback flashing is a CS4 bug, we can't turn of the frame cache in CS4 so you see old frame data, fortunately we can control the cache in CS3 and CS5.

Full screen playback, on primary or secondary monitors has been completed and will be a feature in the next major release (v5) due out soon.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill....

We have a similar issue when playng back FL adjusted files in Premiere (when yo-yoing between the two applications) - flashing between frames which seem to have been altered and some which do not. Sometimes it appears that if the timeline cursor has been moved in FL it confuses things. It doesn't affect renders though.

Can I also add that it would be very useful to be able to reveal clips in FL directly from the Premiere timeline.
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Explained above.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase