Neo Scene changes clips from 23.98 to 29.97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Neo Scene changes clips from 23.98 to 29.97

I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet, but whenever I use Neo Scene to convert 1080/24p clips from a Canon 7D or 5D mkII, the frame rate is changed to 29.97. Is anyone else seeing this? All I want is for Neo Scene to convert the H264 files to the ProRes or Cineform codec without mucking around with the frame rate.

Of course, I could just use Canon's new "EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro" to convert to ProRes, which based on my testing, renders colors most accurately compared to the original H264 files (I'm seeing slight color shifts when using Neo Scene and even Compressor...which is a shame, since both of those programs are very well threaded and can max out the 8-cores on my Mac Pro). But I do like how Neo Scene "flattens out" or "un-crushes" the black levels when converting to the Cineform codec.
Vincent Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NeoScene has got stuck thinking all your sources are Canon 5D's pre-firmware upgrade. Delete this
/Library/Application Support/CineForm/Custom Settings/MOV/avc1/_last.plist
and it will work again.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks, David! That did the trick.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Tourist

Neoscene is telling me it is unable to determine the frame rate and my 7d footage shot at 24p is converted to 30p. I filled out a support ticket and the response was to install the latest version of quicktime. The requirments page for Neoscene states that quicktime is "NA". Now I'm reading that I need to delete something to get it to work properly?
Mike Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Talk again to support, as this thread is about the Mac -- you are talking about a PC I gather.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Tourist

Yes I'm using pc.
Mike Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Tourist

Hi David, Another problem I've run into with NeoScene (Mac) is that the "Limit YUV (Canon 5D)" setting doesn't seem to work when outputting to the ProRes codecs. It only works when the Output Format is set to one of the Cineform codecs. Can you confirm this on your end? My workflow is ProRes currently...would like to switch to Cineform, but the RT effects enabler isn't working for me...

So (at the risk of sounding like a total complainer!) I was under the impression that the new FCP RT enabler is supposed to allow RT effects (like cross dissolve). I'm unable to playback even a 1 sec. cross dissolve without a dropped frame warning. My system should be plenty capable (8-core Mac Pro, 12GB RAM, 400MB/s+ RAID) and I think I have my sequence settings correct (Dynamic for both Video Quality and Frame Rate, Multiclip Playback unchecked). Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Tourist

Scratch that last bit about RT effects not working in FCP. Right after I posted that, I tried turning OFF External Video (I run a Kona 3 card) and voila! Even a 6 sec. cross dissolve played back without dropping frames. Would be nice though if I could playback with External Video ON. ;-)
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The "Limit YUV (Canon 5D)" set only works with CineForm, as the fix is done in the codec not the converter -- so ProRes can't do it as is.

It is possible to run RT through the Kona 3. I've done it myself, but I'm not a Mac guy so I'm not sure what are the settings. Support should have this info, but expect a slower response as we are all moving to Vegas for the week of NAB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase