HD VfW Controls settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
New Boot

HD VfW Controls settings

Is there a default setting for these controls and what are there situations where you would use one setting instead of another? I am working on an hour long project with Cineform files and have a number of different sections which I render out to Cineform AVIs to later render to Mpeg for Blu-ray. I've been having problems in getting a few glitchy little things in random places in the rendered AVI file. I can do work arounds like cutting the glitch out of the final render and putting in the unglitchy bit from what I originally rendered. All of this has led me to question the HD Vfw Controls settings and how it should be set. Maybe that's my problem.

Thanks.
Jan Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Major Player

It might help if you could post a frame capture of one of the "glitchy little things in random places". You're better off on this kind of issue to file a ticket with Cineform support. In any case, I doubt that any of the VFW codec settings would cause that type of random problem. I attached the codec's property sheet. The first two items have to do with color, the second of which should be left as the default for HD. The third item is if you are working with 4:2:2 material, but that should only affect the decode. The three bottom items affect the encoding to CFHD, but they only control file size/quality, progressive/interlaced and pixel aspect ratio (1:1 for 1920x1080, etc and 1.333 for HDV formats). In general, you should use High HD for the quality setting.
Attached Thumbnails
HD VfW Controls settings-cfhd-vfw.jpg  
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the information. I think I can describe a little better what is going on and it wouldn't be evident in a frame grab as it is a motion effect. In the first instance there is a shaky, stuttering, glitchy effect over a 4 second period, just very stuttery motion. The shot is of pine needles floating in a stream and very out of focus pine needles swaying in the wind in the foreground. In this same instance, 4 frames from the end cut of the take a complete frame from the incoming take flashes for a frame. In the other instance I just have the shaky, stuttery, glitchy effect over about a 7 second period and then it smooths out. This shot is of a flock of geese taking off so their is quite a bit of motion.

I did file a ticket with Cineform but haven't heard anything.

Thanks for replying.
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Major Player

You might not hear for a few days, as they are at NAB. In the mean time ... Have you tried different media players and NLEs to play the file? Sometimes, it's a playback issue with specific software. I doubt that's it, but it's worth a shot. The NLE VirtualDub and the players Apple Quicktime Player and Media Player Classic all will play CFHD AVI files and are freeware. Google them to find the download locations.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #5
New Boot

Jay, Jake contacted me and said that he'd get on this when he returned from NAB on Friday. I have attached two examples of the problem. I guess words just don't do the effect justice.

Also it's not a player problem as the problem is showing up on my Vegas timeline. My workaround is to replace this glitchy bit with the same bit from my original source material, where there wasn't any problem, and that works fine. It's just a pain.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv example 1.wmv (5.92 MB, 93 views)
File Type: wmv example 2.wmv (6.40 MB, 88 views)
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I can't say that I've ever seen that with any of my Cineform files. It almost looks like something on your PC (anti-virus, etc.) was running when you did the encoding and caused some kind of momentary glitch.

BTW, my wife and I used to live on Orchard Road in Charlotte, VT. I loved to watch the thunderstorms come rumbling down from the Adirondacks and onto the Lake.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #7
New Boot

Something going on with my PC while rendering is certainly a possibility. But it doesn't happen on similarly lengthy renders to mpeg for Blu-ray. So I am not convinced that that is it.

Yes, Charlotte is a great place. If you ever get back over this way stop by for a cup of coffee.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi, Not sure about the geese, but the first clip (pine needles) looks very similar to a problem we come across often with slow camera movements - pannining slowly across a scene the playback stutters.

We (UK) have the added problem of 25fps projects and mismatched 60Hz monitors, but it seems to me that it's the same situation with your pine needles - everything in the shot is in a slightly different place in each consecutive frame. Perhaps the codec doesn't like that because it has no stable reference to a previous frame? Perhaps someone who undertands codecs has an opinion?

Media Player Classic - Home Theatre plays back cineform very well for us, and it has loads of options for tweaking things!

Good luck with a solution.
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase