Cineform Intermediate Codec? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform Intermediate Codec?

Cineform Intermediate Codec that came with Vegas Pro 8.0c. Is this a lossless codec or just an intermediate codec for for easy edit. Can some one please confirm this for me. I am thinking about archives video using this codec. Tell me is this a good idea or bad idea. Thank you.

Bruce
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is both. CineForm is an easier to edit, archive grade, mezzanine wavelet format. While not mathematically lossless, at Filmscan 2 quality you are splitting hairs to find the difference. While it is built on a mathematically reversible wavelet core (lossless) we do add light quantization as lossless HD only achieves between 1.6:1 and 2.0:1, whereas as Filmscan 2 more offers the same practical quality (in any post production workflow need) between 4:1 and 5:1. 2.5 times more efficient than mathematically lossless, 4-5 times more efficient than uncompressed.

P.S. Opps! The free version with 8.0c doesn't have the filmscan quality modes -- we don't give away the coolest stuff -- for that you need NeoHD. The 8.0c codec is very old, Vegas 5/6 vintage, it is good for HDV work, which was it original purpose within Vegas. The high quality mode in that old codec is going to be good enough for most applications, but for a long term archive you should use Filmscan 1 or 2. (there where names as they preserve the grain of a film scan.)
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm a happy Cineform owner - but I must admit, when i move between systems, sometimes i still use that old free codec in Veges 7, (even for 7D footage) and i still thinks its great!

Last edited by Mike Calla; April 27th, 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: idiocy
Mike Calla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase