Neo3D v5 out in public beta (Mac and PC.) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Just change the preset settings after choosing Cineform RT preset in PP CS5 when you open a new project. Go to General tab and from there you should be able to change the timebase settings. That should do the trick. All my clips are 59.94 fps and I have no problems. Just red bars over videos when applying effects/transitions but Mercury Playback Engine takes care of that if you got that running. I'm assuming more presets will be included in the final build as well as backwards compatbility with CS3/CS4.

One question I do have though is will the realtime engine found in PHD/4K (now that its being discontinued) also be included to support CS3 in the NEO 4K v5? I plan to keep CS3 (I'll get rid of CS4 since its practically useless now) since I have a lot of old projects archived made using CS3.

So far everything is amazing! CS5 + First Light is like a dream come true. I hope the Cineform release final goes gold soon because I have a project I want to start but dont want to start it using a trial.

Last edited by James Park; May 4th, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks James,

CS3 support will be restored in the full v5.0 release, working on that tomorrow.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Major Player

Well that was embarrassing.... thanks James and David for chiming in. How I forgot that step I will never know.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Major Player

David.... so far on my modest Win7 setup (4gb RAM, cheap ATI video card, Core 2 Duo @ 2.93ghz), with CS5 and Neo3d Trial versions, I'm achieving smooth playback at 1/2 resolution, but the system struggles with full resolution.

Will there be any difference with Neo V5's playback acceleration, or is this what I should expect as a result of my hardware setup?

This is on playback of ProspectHD encoded 1440 x 1080i source footage. I attempted to convert some XDCam footage (MXF) with HDLink, but was confronted with an error message about the format not being recognized.

Does HDLink have any special workflow requirements to convert MXF?

New system gets ordered once I understand how all this is going to fit together.

UPDATE: Manually adding the MP4 to the HDLink conversion list solves the XDCam footage issue, although I thought I remembered being able to convert directly from the MXF files that are extracted by the XDCam Clip Browser.

Last edited by Marty Baggen; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #20
New Boot

Marty,

For a full mercury RT playback experience you need an Adobe approved Cuda enabled Nvidia card which you seem not to have installed in your system.

We use CS5 with a Quadro 5800 with SDI (it's a colour correction workstation) and the performance of CS5 and CineForm is wonderful. Seeing is believing.

You will achieve similar perfomances with a much cheaper Cuda enabled GeForce 285 (if I recall correctly).

Hans
Hans von Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marty,

We are adding more performance over time, and we should see smooth fullres on your class of system soon under CS5. However 1/2 res mode will always be our sweet sport, it is what Prospect HD defaulted to, as it uses the benefits of wavelets which can decode to sub-resolution quicker than other formats.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #22
Major Player

David.... what I am seeing already exceeds anything in CS4. Based on that, I am going through with the CS5 upgrade..... and believe me, Adobe owes you guys big time.

Hans.... although I do plan on adding at least a GTX 285 grade CUDA card, I see conflicting feedback as to whether it actually improves timeline performance and playback of straight video. If I drop in an MXF or CFHD clip with no effects.... will CUDA assist in that playback, or only if I have GPU specific duties for the card to relieve the CPU of?

CUDA is expected to boost my TMPGEnc performance as well.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #23
New Boot

Marty,

We can playback full res CF 1080p intermediate AVIs in RT anytime with or without Cuda VFX. The only problem we encounter are CF MOVs. They stutter and don't playback smoothly. That will be fixed soon, according to CineForm.

Premier Pro CS5 without Cuda enabled graphics is a big step regarding stability and reliability. Nevertheless if you want a true revolutionary 2010 editing experience based ob CF you need a proper CS5 approved board.

Hans
Hans von Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #24
Major Player

Hans.... if you don't mind sharing your systems specs?

It sounds like it still boils down to good old CPU power and RAM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #25
Regular Crew

NeoHD V5

When will it be released? Thanks
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Working on it. All the little stuff takes ages: installers, presets, license changes.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #27
Trustee

David
With Neo 3D v.5 Beta/CS5, if I open a CS4 project, CS5 will convert it, but only open it in "desktop" mode. It plays, looks, & works great, but has the yellow render line.
If I open a new CS5 project using the Cineform presets & put some of the same clips on the timeline, there is no render line.
Is this just a characteristic of the BETA version, or is this going to be the way it stands.
Thanks
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #28
Major Player

Hey Robert.... David mentioned in another thread that the render indicators are a cosmetic issue that they are cleaning up, so at this point it sounds like they are not in fact a perfect barometer for playback performance.
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #29
Trustee

I'm not worried- playback performance is spectacular, yellow lines or not.
In fact (so far) I am absolutely shocked at the whole CS5/Neo 5/ CUDA deal.
It all seems to work just as advertised right out of the box. I have never seen that before.
Is it possible we are entering an era where you just turn it on, edit, and... turn it off- like using an automobile?
I don't know what I am going to do with all of the spare time without needing to endlessly tinker to keep it sort of running & do whatever I'm trying to do.
Amazing.
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I'm not worried- playback performance is spectacular, yellow lines or not.
In fact (so far) I am absolutely shocked at the whole CS5/Neo 5/ CUDA deal.
It all seems to work just as advertised right out of the box. I have never seen that before.
Is it possible we are entering an era where you just turn it on, edit, and... turn it off- like using an automobile?
I don't know what I am going to do with all of the spare time without needing to endlessly tinker to keep it sort of running & do whatever I'm trying to do.
Amazing.
I had exactly the same reaction Robert, "do you mean to tell me it works? Just like that?"
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase