DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform and cuda CS5 issue. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/478085-cineform-cuda-cs5-issue.html)

Martin Guitar May 3rd, 2010 11:02 PM

Cineform and cuda CS5 issue.

I'm using the Neo3D beta with CS5.

When i make a sequence with DSLR preset and CS5 internal preview i get the yellow bar so no need to render. Why is it that when i make a sequence using Cineform RT + Cineform Video preview i get a red bar?

I'm not saying my performances are not good, i mean i have 3 1080p clips scaled down and 1 of them is keyframed moving accross the screen and my CPU is running at 34%.

I'm just wondering why i get the red bar? GPU acceleration is turned on in the Project General preferences.

Pete Bauer May 4th, 2010 07:14 AM

Just a guess -- perhaps you have some non-GPU accelerated effects?

Martin Guitar May 4th, 2010 08:21 AM

The only effects used are scaling, opacity, things like that... no real plugin effects.

Paul Cook May 5th, 2010 03:29 AM

So what ARE you saying? That using the Cineform RT settings and 3 1080p clips with scaling and keyframes etc it plays back smoothly and only uses 33% of the CPU BUT you have a red bar?

So your question is purely an aesthetic one, not a performance issue?

Tim Kolb May 5th, 2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Guitar (Post 1523091)
The only effects used are scaling, opacity, things like that... no real plugin effects.

I don't think the GPU would help a huge amount... But it sounds like everything is working for you, and you're curious as to why the timeline shows red...

I don't think that First Light should cause that... all that should basically be "free"... Obviously PPro is making a mountain out of some sort of molehill.

Martin Guitar May 5th, 2010 08:43 AM

I'm just wondering if it's normal and if other people see the same issue. I'm new to Premiere, i assume the red bar means you need to render all effects and transitions...

The performance is exceptional, i only want to know if i need to re-install software or hardware. If it's normal?

David Newman May 5th, 2010 09:07 AM

The red and yellow bar indicators are most cosmetic, we haven't worked on them much yet. You will see their behave change over time. We can often play through red regions in real-time.

Marty Baggen May 5th, 2010 09:13 AM

Martin.... what are your system specs?

Tim Kolb May 5th, 2010 09:14 AM

I'm a fairly long-time Premiere user. If it's broken, there is rarely a question about that... :-)

If your performance is good...you're not broken.

Premiere does go to the red bar when whatever is going on in the timeline crosses some line between what it considers straight playback and added effects. It doesn't really take the system configuration into account, I don't think it changes behavior if you have a CUDA capable machine either.

I edit for months with red bars on timelines and just keep going unless for some reason I've done enough to a section of timeline where the machine can't simply out-muscle it and give me full frame rate. Then I'll preview render. For all of Premiere's faults, it's been a decade since I've seen a screen that had some prompt to render instead of content on it. Something i enjoy pointing out to my esteemed colleagues using FCP. :-)

What I'm unclear on is this:
In each case, are you saying that you are using media that is "native" to the sequence setting? DSLR media on a DSLR timeline...and CineForm media on a CineForm timeline?

Martin Guitar May 5th, 2010 09:23 AM

Marty - My specs are: i7920, 12gb ram, GTX 295, raptor HD using 2 monitors.

Tim - When i start a sequence with DSLR editing settings and DSLR footage (5d mov h.264), the bar is always yellow (same effects as the cineform version > clip scaling, opacity, position etc..)

With Cineform, same effects, i get the red bar, but it's so much more fluid and it snaps a lot faster. Again, no complaint, just checking if it's normal. Based on David's reply i think it's normal. Thanks David.

UPDATE: I also get yellow bars if i load Cineform clips into a "DSLR" editing preset.

Tim Kolb May 5th, 2010 09:33 AM

"UPDATE: I also get yellow bars if i load Cineform clips into a "DSLR" editing preset."

Ahhhh.... I guess then that David's point about CineForm working more on the runnability vs the cosmetics comes into play.

yes, it sounds fine. As I said, red or yellow bars in whatever settings (I'm a CineForm user as well) don't seem to be an indicator of what your system will torque through...