New Betas for Cs5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 10th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Major Player

New Betas for Cs5

Just wanted to find out if everyone is using the the $$$ nvida cards with cs5? If not how is CF perforning? What reccomendations does everyone have for Minumun requirements,

Thanks Bruce
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Cs5:

Hi Bruce,

Check out the Premiere Pro forums on Adobe. Lots of talk about what is working and not working. But if you want the best performance, you have to get one of the expensive Nvidia cards.

Take care,

Simon
p.s.
You can also call me and we can discuss it. ;)
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Bruce,

I am running the CS5 trial with the Neo 5 Beta on a Win 7 64-bit OS and only 4gb of RAM. My video card is a GeForce 8800. My processor is only a Core 2 Duo @ 2.93 ghz. A very modest setup.

A single stream of CFHD plays back smoothly at 1/2 resolution. This includes clips previously encoded at 1440 x 1080, and newly encoded MXF footage @ 1920 x 1080.

I haven't had time to do much more than simply drop clips into a time line and hit play. Titles and effects, choke playback performance in that scenario. This week I will double the RAM and install my GTX 285.

Exports of CFHD material to CFHD outputs seem to be faster by a factor of 2 or 3.

After demo of this configuration, my determination is that I will get all the performance I need by simply working with my old ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard with 8gb of RAM and drop in the GTX 285.

When I am more excited about starting from scratch with new OS installation, re-installing/licensing applications, etc..... then I'll go with new motherboard, processor, and RAM, and probably end up spending less than $1,500 in the process.

Literally every facet of function and performance is improved with the CS5/Neo 5 combo.

After Effects is critical for me as well, but it doesn't sound like there have been any earth-shattering improvements there, although more RAM and the video card shouldn't hurt its performance.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

AE and PPCS5:

Hi Marty,

I use AE a lot too. My previous workflow before CS5 was to export any work in AE via cineform and then I could import it into PPCS3 without having to render it again.

Now in PPCS5, I can just import the AE composition into PPCS5 and not only save time but also save hard drive space because I don' t need to create a cineform file anymore.

The AE composition plays fine in the timeline in PPCS5 without rendering. Having said that, I do have a new desktop with 12 GB, fx 3800 and the 980x processor so that helps regarding performance.

Anyway, good luck!

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Simon,

That is great info. If I DO go to a higher performing hardware configuration anytime soon, it will be because of After Effects, not Premiere.

The lack of preview in CS4 pretty much negated Dynamic Link.... now that situation may be improved.

I would be willing to bet that your RAM is the most important component for playing your AE comps in the timeline. By all accounts, AE gets no benefit from the GPU.... and of course even though you're previewing from Premiere, it's still an AE "timeline" via Dynamic Link.

Thanks for posting that info Simon.... I need to scope out the activity on the AE boards to see what users are saying about CS5.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase