Cineform CS5 Cuda Yellow bar Red bar ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Cineform CS5 Cuda Yellow bar Red bar ?

The answer to this question is I think out there in the forums, somewhere, already .... but I'm going to start a specific thread because I bet this question will get googled lots in coming months:

What's the most efficient project setup for editing CFHD video in Premiere CS5 when Cuda GPU acceleration is activated? Is it still "Cineform RT"?

The reason I ask is that when I apply a GPU-accelerated effect to a clip on a 'Cineform RT" timeline the bar goes red, whereas if I apply that same effect it in "Desktop mode" the bar only goes yellow. But I think I recall comments indicating that acceleration is being applied in both cases and the red bar is not a concern? Please advise ...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Major Player

While cuda is activated and a red bar appears when dropping the footage this means there is a mismatch between sequence settings and footage.
Cineform avi's are yellow.
Drag your footage into the New Item Icon, that will give you a matching sequence.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

red/yellow bars are not setup yet. They are going to change in upcoming releases.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Trustee

David - yes, that was my understanding. So to be clear ... you are saying this is simply cosmetic, can be ignored, stick with "RT Cineform"?

Ann - I am refering to the situation where the raw footage is fine, however a red bar appears when a GPU-accelerated affect is applied.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

While there is a still some differences between the play modules, you do not have to leave the CineForm RT mode to use Cuda/Mercury.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Does the new CIneform engine allow us to use adobe's preview to a secondary monitor, or is it still limited to a hardware overlay as it has been in the past? I am liking CS5 so far and will be installing the Beta of Neo 5 or whatever the replacement is for PRospect HD that I currrently have.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Does the new CIneform engine allow us to use adobe's preview to a secondary monitor, or is it still limited to a hardware overlay as it has been in the past? I am liking CS5 so far and will be installing the Beta of Neo 5 or whatever the replacement is for PRospect HD that I currrently have.
Marty
Maybe I don't completely understand your question, but I'm using CS5/ Neo4K v 5/ Quadro fx 3800.
I get full screen HDMI to HDTV preview monitoring from both CF and Adobe timelines.
I'm sure it would work the same for digital out to a secondary non TV HD monitor as well.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Trustee

Robert,
Early on, Cineform had an engine that used harware overlay to display video. You then had to setup your video card to display the hardware overlay full screen on a second monitor. This worked well at the time as Premiere had no option natively for this.

Well as Premiere has improved, it has added an option to display full screen onto any additional monitor without hardware overlay. This is a great feature. However, when loading cineform presets (which are required for real-time acceleration of Cineform effects) this Premiere feature was disabled, and we would again have to rely on the hardware overlay features of you video card for full screen playback.

Then, video card vendors stopped supporting hardware overlay to second, making it difficult to use Cineform if you wanted to monitor full screen from your video card to another monitor. Eventually the newest operating systems stopped supporting it also.

So the question now is, if you load a preset for CIneform that uses Cineform realtime engine, do we lose the ability to have full screen preview on 2nd monitor? This is via the actual video card and not some addon blackmagic output card or such.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The CS5 playback module support OpenGL full screen playback surfaces, no longer need to use the overlay.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm having a problem with full-screen playback with Cineform RT sequences. The sequence will play fullscreen on the 2nd PC monitor, but the source monitor window in monitor 1 will then lock up. I can hear the audio if I click to play the source monitor, but there is no video. With other types of sequences, everything is fine.

I filed a ticket on this, but I was wondering if others have seen this problem. Video Card: 8800GT with latest nvidea driver, Win7 64, CS5, Q9450, Asus P5E, 8GB memory.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Tourist

Yes, the same issue of no video on source monitor when OpenGL is engaged for full screen preview on the 2nd monitor. ATI 1600 video card, Win7 64, CS5.
Fritz Ditz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase