Encoding issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Encoding issues

I am starting to notice some issues when trying to export certain sequences from cineform presets to cineform AVI, particularly those with certain Boris Continuum BCC7 effects. When certain effects in the timeline are reached in the encoding process, the whole encode stops and just hangs, requiring a forced shutdown of media encoder. Not sure it's at all related to cineform but it's causing a problem for me.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Please fill a trouble ticket as support will need many details.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Rich,

Out of curiosity, are you using Premiere CS5 with the hack to enable CUDA acceleration on a graphics card that was not on the authorized list? I have a GTX 260 and I was able to make the hack work for me. Everything worked well until I tried to export certain files, and then it would freeze like you described. After some detective work I narrowed it down to the CUDA acceleration and after turning it off have had no problems.

Just curious if this may be the problem for you also.

Thanks,
Lloyd
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Lloyd - Actually I am not using the Cuda hack as I have a FX4800. However the problem occurs at certain frames and normally with one of Boris effects in particular (swish pan), when it gets to one of those effects it hangs. It's also hung on other occasions, all related to Boris effects. The weird thing is the effects work amazingly well in the cineform preset and much better than desktop mode where it would crash. The cineform preset has no crashes and seems highly stable but the exports are where the issues is although I was able to export to other codecs. I have passed this information back to Boris also.

I will try turning off Cuda acceleration for rendering, thanks for the tip!
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I turned off CUDA acceleration for exports only and I was able to export a sequence with no issues. It seems as Lloyd suggests that some apps, in my case Boris Effects may have issues with Cuda hardware acceleration enabled. Simply turning it off for exports solved the issue.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase