Audio Problem with conversion of AVCHD files to Cineform .avi with HDLink at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Problem with conversion of AVCHD files to Cineform .avi with HDLink

I just got a new computer (AMD PHenom II x6, GTX 285,16 gb RAM, Raid 0 for data, etc with Win 7 Home Premium) and installed CS5 Prod Premium and upgraded from ProspectHD to NeoHD (two days ago).
I downloaded AVCHD files to the computer from SONY XDR-XR520V with the new version of SOny's Picture Motion Browser and then used HDLink to convert the AVCHD files to Cineform .avi

When I imported the cineform files into Prem Pro CS5 and put them on the timeline, the audio was "bad". Specifically, the audio appears as a rapid series of high pitched clicks on the timeline. The sequence is a Cineform 1920x1080 60i.
The audio doesn't play in Windows Media Player.
Checking the tech blog, I thought said there was no need to have Haali splitter installed as it had been for prior versions of HDLink.
I even checked the haali splitter sites, and now there are several versions to install so I'm not sure how to approach this (aside from filing a trouble ticket which I just did).

I should add that when I create an AVCHD non-cineform sequence and add the unconverted AVCHD file to it, the audio plays perfectly, so this seems to be something happening when I use HDLink to convert the files.

Does anybody have an idea for a quick fix here?

Thanks in advance,
John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Trustee

John
The solution from Jake @ Cineform:
1) You do not need the Haali splitter
2) What you do need is the free ac3 filter from AC3filter.net. Download and install that and then your conversions should have audio. Make sure to download the 64-bit version and during installation select both the 32-bit and 64-bit components.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bob,
It looks like you're the man. I got a test file to convert with good audio after downloading and installing ac3filter per your instructions.
I'll give it a more extensive test tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, did you have a similar problem? I wonder if this is a CS5 general problem, or just a rare anomally?
I'm waiting on Jake for a followup suggestion (he was working on it for me), but I'll probably just tell him it's fixed.

Thanks again,
John
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Trustee

It's always been confusing to me.
For AVCHD conversion to Cineform you have to have an AC3 decoder for audio.
BUT, supposedly you should already have at least one AC3 decoder onboard anyway, courtesy of a variety of already installed software (i.e. Adobe Production Suite). Maybe the problem is getting CF to find the decoder- I never really knew.
Clearly, if you install this particular "AC3 Filter", CF knows how to find and use it.
I have been through this before with CF v3 and CF v4- we used to use Core AVC to solve the problem. When I switched from Vista 64 to Win7 64, Core AVC no longer worked with PHD4 and CS4.
AC3 Filter did work, and has continued to work through my current upgrade to Neo5/CS5.
Maybe some genius on this forum will reveal the naked truth about this issue :)
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We use DirectShow for conversion, we need any DirectShow AC3 decoder. We do not request any particular component, but we recommend the AC3Filter as it worked and it was free. We attempted to license that component, but got no reply. No other external component is required as we licensed everything else and ship them with the application.
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Bob,
I found this down at the bottom of the discussion on conversion of AVCHD in the "Tech Blog"

"NOTE about Audio: If you are not properly converting audio, you may not have an AC3 decoder installed. Many software packages install an AC3 decoder, but if not, you can get a free AC3 decoder here".

It would have been handier if it were up at the top, since I originally didn't get down to it before. Also, perhaps this should be the first suggestion for audio problems from tech support. IMO, your specific instructions for installation also should be included. Unfortunately, for Cineform, there is probably a wide spectrum of technical expertise represented in their users so they may not be sure how detailed to make their technical suggestions. Personally, I would favor more details.

John
John Rich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase