New beta release for v5.0.5 Neo series (Windows) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

New beta release for v5.0.5 Neo series (Windows)

Many generally improvements in the codec, CS5 functionality (not mentioned below) and some features added for some high projects we are working -- now available to NeoHD, Neo4K and Neo3D users.

Added - support for NVidia Dual SDI from Premiere Pro CS5
Added - "Auto Mux" feature in FirstLight to stereo multiplex numerical left and right eye sequences.
Added - Panavision GDP .lut support to the LookInstaller (double click on .lut to register them with FirstLight.)
Enhanced - support for NVidia Dual SDI from FirstLight
Enhanced - DPX2CF for sync left / right sequences based on TC but sorted on frame name. New switch is -dT (this option is faster -sT.)
Enhanced - DPX2CF to support camera flip corrections before encoding (switches -LH -RV.)
Enhanced - Canon 5D/7D/T2i conversion to fixing the colorspace by converting to 10-bit 709 upon encode.
Fixed - crash with 3D rendered using Match Sequence.
Fixed - the preservation of playback settings when reloading a project and switching between sequences.

Neo3D - http://cineform.com/downloads/Neo3Dv505b264-100701.zip
Neo4K - http://cineform.com/downloads/Neo4Kv505b264-100701.zip
NeoHD - http://cineform.com/downloads/NeoHDv505b264-100701.zip
NeoScene - http://cineform.com/downloads/NeoSce...264-100701.zip

As always we release PC betas here on DVinfo.net, and if feedback is generally good, we release to rest of the user base soon after. Remember this is beta, so don't switch software mid-project.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I get lost in the tech talk sometimes, but can you explain briefly what "10-bit 709 upon encode." is? Does that change the appearance of the clip, is it a qualitative adjustment, is it just that having a 10-bit depth allows more quality preservation if adding effects/color corrections?

I may be way off, but I'm hoping to learn a little about these new build advantages.

Thanks
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This is an important line item. Canon 5D/7D/T2i shoots 0-255 luma with an SD 601 colorspace, we new about the luma being wrong for most playback devices (16-235 range is standard) but we didn't know about the wrong colorspace (HD is ITU.709 colorspace.) We now fix this during conversions. The difference is subtle shift in deeply saturated colors like reds and greens for Canon conversions. It is now mathematically correct when you play the Canon to CineForm decodes directly to a YUV surface (like HDMI), funny that it is not when playing the original Canon files (another reason to convert to CineForm.)

P.S. We've been so the 10-bit upgrade for a long time, so this is about improved color accuracy.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=support for NVidia Dual SDI[/QUOTE]

Hello. Pardon my ignorance but, what is Nvidia Dual SDI?, on its website there is not anything about it.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As we are supporting everything 3D these days (market is expanding like crazy), NVidia has a dual HDSDI output option for Quadro that can drive 3D monitors are projectors. NVIDIA Quadro Digital Video Pipeline
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM   #6
New Boot

How does the 'Auto-Muxing' work? This could be a real time saver. I just manually muxed 30 3D clips and it took ages. My clips are typically labelled LETTERSnumber_l or _r.
Rob Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The auto muxing feature is just a first step to some improve conversion and muxing tools for 3D. It requires that the start frames for left and right eye clips are in sync, and that file naming is a numeric series.

So:
Left/XYZ0001.avi thru Left/XYZ0103.avi
matches
Right/XYZ0001.avi thru Right/XYZ0103.avi

All you need to do is put in your first pair (L/R XYZ0001.avi) and it will search out next files in the series when you select Auto Mux.
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

MacLovin?

David,
Will you guys soon be incorporating these improvements--particularly the t2i/5d/7d colorspace adjustment--into ReMaster (for Mac)? I really dig the "Luma correct" import as-is--having the gamma be all the more exact would really separate Cineform even more as the best post solution for these tools.

On a side note, are you guys contemplating adding more audio options to ReMaster? Apologies if this isn't precisely the thread to discuss that, but it's the closest active one I could find. See my other rambling one for more background. Thanks, best, Joe
Joe Bailey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Mac and PC builds tick/tock, so it should be in the Mac build soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase