Is This A Cineform Issue...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 6th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is This A Cineform Issue...?

I just recently upgraded to the latest version of Neoscene (v5), having previously been working with v1.4.

A project I shot a couple of months back with my Canon 7D still fires up fine in Vegas.

However, I also have an older long-term project shot on my JVC HD101. The footage was transcoded to Cineform a couple of years ago with whatever the current version for HDV was back then (pre-Neoscene)

This project worked fine with Neoscene 1.4 when I last opened it a few weeks back. However, now everytime I try to load it, or even start a new project using footage transcoded at the same time, Vegas crashes within a few seconds of placing the footage on the timeline.

Does this mean that the new version of Neoscene makes older Cineform files incompatable with Vegas? Please say this isn't so, as the older project is feature length, representing many many months of work.

If this IS the case, is there a way to reinstall the older Neoscene using the activation key for v5?

Help!!!
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

And I think I've answered my own question.

I just uninstalled Neoscene v5 and reinstalled the older v1.4.

The older JVC HD101 project now fires up without a problem.

So it would apperar that Neoscene v5 isn't backwards compatible with Vegas and older Cineform projects (I tried this on both Vegas 9 and my old Vegas 7 that I still had installed) A warning to anyone with old projects on file that they may need to return to at some time.

It now looks like I'm faced with the pain of having to swap back and forth between Neoscene installs until I finish the older project, still a few months away. A right royal pain in the butt :-(
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Backward compatibility issues are rare. Send a short AVI that doesn't work in v5 and we will fix it in the next release.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Awesome. Thanks for the reply David. It's greatly appreciated that you guys respond to these posts.

Will get a clip sent your way asap.
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Major Player

What was the outcome of this please?

I have the following, similar, problem.

Having recently rebuilt my edit machine complete with Vegas 9 (instead of 7) and Cineform Neoscene (instead of NEOHDV) I now have the following problems;

Importing any old Cineform NEOHDV AVI files captured from HDV tape into a Vegas 9 project crashes it instantly.

Opening any Vegas 7 or 8 projects containing Cineform NEOHDV AVIs crashes Vegas instantly

Cineform NEOHDV AVIs which were rendered in Vegas 7 and not created on HDV tape capture open without problem in Vegas 9.

I'd be extremely greatful to hear of any fix or solution to this as I have an edit starting in 2 weeks

Many thanks
Stuart Campbell
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEOHDV has been replaced, test with the NeoScene trial.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Major Player

David thanks for your reply.

In the top part of my post I mentioned that I replaced NEOHDV with Neoscene as part of my edit suite rebuild.

The issue has arrisen since upgrading to Neoscene and Vegas 9. I cannot now open any previously captured Cineform AVI's in Vegas 9 that were previously created using NHDV. I can, however, open NHDV Cineform AVIs that were rendered within previous versions of Vegas. It seems that's it's just NEOHDV captured AVI's that can't be opened when using Neoscene.

Thanks
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi David,

Is there any news on this? I need to use all of my archive footage which was captured using NeoHDV and now I'm using Neoscene I can't view any of it without Vegas 9 crashing instantly. If I uninstall Neoscene and reinstall an old copy of HDV everything works fine. Obvioulsy I don't want to have to keep uninstalling and installing depending on what footage I want to bring into a project.

Stuart Campbell
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM   #9
Major Player

should I post a ticket about this? This place seems to be the quickest for a response from previous experience.
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Always post a ticket, otherwise the problem does not exist for our engineers. We need a sample clip that fails.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase