Does HD Link Support nanoFlash Files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does HD Link Support nanoFlash Files?

Three points re this issue!

1) It seems to me that I read a response some time ago by one of the David's providiing a negative response to this issue. It seems to me in my faulty memory that one of the Davids said that conversion of nanoFlash files could not be accomplished in HD Link because of an issue with the Sony codec, and further that the stonewall to resolving this did not rest with Cineform, but with Sony (perhaps Sony's lack of effort to work with Cineform in resolving some issue???). Please, I could be totally off base in this assertion!

2) I have just conducted numerous searches of this forum, and all I can find (nothing more recent than March or May of this year) suggests that HD Link ingested and converted nanoFlash files at one time, but no longer does so? I could not find what my faulty memory left me with, referred to in 1), above.

3) I am currently using Cineform set up in Exporting timeline with avi wrapper within Adobe Premiere CS4; the clips in the Premiere timeline are drawn from nanoFlash files. My set up, on a powerful PC is: from Sony EX1 SDI output to Convergent Designs nanoFlash (1080x1920 30p Long GOP 100Mbps) imported into Premiere CS4 with appropriate enabling MainConcept plug in, edited, and then flawlessly exported with the Cinceform HD set up (with Cineform Neo4k v5 installed) - lovely saved files! BUT when attempt to convert equivalent nanoFlash files with HD Link, receive message "Format not supported". Whoa, I am not accepting that as definitive, as I may have just missed something in my set up (can you believe I have done that from time to time!?).

Soooo, my question. I would be most appreciative of some informed response, as I have conveyed my doubts about HD Link handling nanoFlash files, over at the DVInfo Convergent Designs board, and I do not wish to purvey false information about the fine Cineform product!
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi William - I am in the same boat over this. I asked this in one of the earlier threads and it seems like it is something a bit vaguely touched on especially with regards to a date when and if this this may be resolved. I also would like to hear from David and co if this is going to be fixed by Cineform or Convergent design. Seems to me that Cineform may be the ones to try and fix the issue for the sake of their users like us as at the moment I am limited to using Vegas alone to do the conversion and it is a pain...........
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Issues has changed over time. Originally our MXF reader was not compatible with the files produced from Nano Flash, we found that bizarre as the same MXF reader handled other Sony sources. The fault is neither Sony or Convergent's, but with MXF -- Material eXchange Format, is really ManyXF, mostly incompatible with itself. Sony files are different to Panasonic files and the XDCAM files different form the high bitrate MPEG files and soon on. This is also why we have not put CineForm data into MXF, when we have it comfortably in AVI, MOV and DPX. Since then the MXF reader component has been upgraded and can be made to work with Nano flash video data, but we are now having audio issues, which we believe are solvable. It is get closer, but no estimates yet.
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks David - encouraging at least

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase