DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Neo4K freezes then crashes on timeline during scrub (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/481911-neo4k-freezes-then-crashes-timeline-during-scrub.html)

James Park July 14th, 2010 08:02 PM

Neo4K freezes then crashes on timeline during scrub

With the latest build Neo4K 5.0.6.265, I'm having issues scrubbing & playback to preview in Premiere Pro CS5. Whether I start a new project or open an existing project, when I add clips to the time, it starts out fine but if I move along forward or back it freezes and becomes unresponsive. It's either I cant click anywhere or move within Premiere. The audio masters meter on the far right will even freeze up. I have to wait for it to be responsive again but often times Premiere will crash shortly thereafter.

Incidentally this only seems to happen when I open a project using CF preset. I dont have any issues when using uncompressed or other formats. I tried isolating the issue by downgrading Neo4K several point releases back but still no improvement. It keeps freezing and crashing. Then I tried uninstalling all other version of CS5, CS4, and CS3. Ran the cleanup utility cleaned up the registry then reinstalled CS5. Still problem persists. Tried other scenarios including uninstalling all other codecs and unnecessary software.

The source files I'm dealing with were capture using HDlink directly onto disk using Intensity Pro card. I tried running them off the RAID-0 drives, single drives, but doesnt matter as it keeps having same problems with freezing and/or crashing.

Here are the specs:
Hardware:
i7 920 overclocked 3.65ghz, 12GB DDR RAM, Asus P6T V2 Deluxe board, Nvidia GTX260, Blackmagic Intensity, total of ~4x1TB drives: 1TB dedicated system/os drive, 2x1TB RAID0 scratch drive for video, 1x1TB video backup, 1xTB misc backup.

Software:
Windows 7 Pro x64, Premiere Pro CS5.0.1, Kaspersky IS10

I've just about had it and running out of ideas to narrow this down. Submitted a ticked earlier today and there was no help there either. (Suggested to turn off UAC and AV software both of which I did already). Any thoughts?

I was really looking forward to completing an entire project within CS5 but this is turning out to be the same disappointment as with CS4. I could fall back to trusty ol' CS3 but thats kind defeating with all the upgrades...

David Newman July 14th, 2010 09:49 PM

We been seeing general excellent stability in CS5. We did see freezes in an earlier build (around 5.0.4), but those recovered without issue, so this sounds different. If you not using the OpenGL output surfaces, >1080p or 3D, you can use the desktop playmodes to prevent you going back to CS3. To performance difference is not huge and the other integration still all work. If there are other reports we might be able isolate what is going wrong on your system. If this is general failure I sure we will start seeing other reports. Plus CineForm has two teams in the 48hourfilm.com project this weekend using CS5 -- the best way to find bugs is use your own tools in high stress situations -- we fix lots every year.