DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   it is possible to capture dvds into cineform avi files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/482110-possible-capture-dvds-into-cineform-avi-files.html)

William Boehm July 19th, 2010 09:55 AM

it is possible to capture dvds into cineform avi files?

ah yet another newbie question. a friend has transferred old family videos onto dvds. i cannot seem to find a way to import these files into Cineform neoscene 5. i believe they are vob files. thanks in advance...

i have cineform neoscene 5 and Vegas Pro

Stephen Armour July 19th, 2010 11:13 AM

Do you have TMPGEnc 4.0? If so, you can open those VOB's directly in a new project via their "Source Wizard" from DVD's or ISO's (after decompressing them via 7-Zip) or even edit them a little (cuts only), apply filters and output them to other formats. I've done it many times.

Are you wanting to use Cineform for editing those files, or is there some other reason?

William Boehm July 19th, 2010 12:45 PM

thanks stephen for your answer. again i am pretty new at this...but i dont recall installing on the new computer TMPGEnc 4.0. i just would like to cut, then edit the cuts in the best codec lossless file i can. i cant recall from last nights attempt if they were vts files ? or vob. will check tonight. i need a more clear step by step procedure...thanks...and i thought possibly cineform could make a dv-avi file, but it doesnt seem possible. maybe i should try this through vegas 9?

Stephen Armour July 19th, 2010 05:03 PM

William, the quality of the compressed video in those VOB files is not real great, and if you're mostly just doing cuts, with very little processing, I don't believe you'd gain much trying to get that material into another codec format.

Since they are from a DVD, most likely they are VOB, and that means already compressed. Any more editing with them will only decrease their quality even further, so the less you do to them, the better. If the DVD's were made originally from VHS tapes, you already have pretty low quality, so any further editing will probably only degrade them further. The more you stick to just plain cuts, the better.

As to TMPGEnc. 4, it is a fairly inexpensive and very powerful video conversion program. It allows very simple editing also, doing away with the need for another program for a cuts only edit. Here's their website: TMPGEnc - Take Your Video to the Next Level!

I don't even think you can convert to Cineform files anyway, and Neoscene 5 would be super overkill for those low quality VOBs. It's for HDV and up.

William Boehm July 20th, 2010 07:27 AM

stephen..thanks for your input...i only wanted to increase the saturation and increase the contrast because the color etc is such poor quality. bill