DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink Crashes Converting 4GB files from Canon 5D mk II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/482590-hdlink-crashes-converting-4gb-files-canon-5d-mk-ii.html)

Julian Frost July 29th, 2010 12:51 AM

HDLink Crashes Converting 4GB files from Canon 5D mk II

I'm using NeoHD, version 5.0.6.265.

I've created several files on my Canon 5D mk II which are the maximum length the camera can record in one take (4GB).

I've been trying to convert these MOV files to CFHD files, but HDLink crashes during the convert on each and every one of the 4GB files. The smaller files convert fine.

It's been a long time since I wrote code, but somewhere in the HDLink code, it's probably not using integers big enough to address 4GB. I had another piece of software (Downloader Pro from BreezeSys) which had this identical problem... it'd choke on 4GB files.

When HDLink crashes, it pops up the Windows crash dialog box, asking if I want to send the report to Microsoft.

The files I have are 4,157,035KB, 4,183,175KB, and 4,181,226KB.

Julian

Charles W. Hull July 29th, 2010 09:40 PM

Bad news. Can you split the files in ZoomBrowser as a workaround?

Alex Raskin July 29th, 2010 09:59 PM

What happens if instead of HDLink you try, say, Adobe Media Encoder outputting a CFHD file?

David Newman July 30th, 2010 08:57 AM

Julian,

We don't believe this is a file length issue. Technically, due to the Flash filesystem FAT, all files are under 4GB (4294967296 bytes) and therefore it is not a 32-bit addressing problem that can happen with > 4GB files.

However, are getting other reports of crash during longer conversions and we do believe we know what is causing this and are working on the patch today.

Ken Kaiser July 30th, 2010 03:19 PM

I'm having the same issue with large HFS10 AVCHD files. Smaller files are converting fine, but long ones (>40 minutes) crash every time. Didn't have this problem with my earlier version of HDLink. Hopefully you find the issue.

David Newman July 30th, 2010 03:31 PM

We believe is updated licensing component (third party) and we are working around it today. Does it crash on these large files at a random point, or the same point -- the size of the left over (bad) AVI will tell you this. Same size each time or different?

Rich Perry July 30th, 2010 09:47 PM

I have also been seeing HDLink crashes for AVCHD conversion to AVI from JVC HM100, although no time to troubleshoot today, It does not happen with all files only some and not sure if the file size makes any difference. For me I think crash is happening at the same point,

Piotr Wozniacki July 31st, 2010 04:42 AM

Same here - only completes conversion of 1 out of 10 attempts (clips are mxf from the EX1 and / or the nanoFlash).

Julian Frost July 31st, 2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1553885)
We believe is updated licensing component (third party) and we are working around it today. Does it crash on these large files at a random point, or the same point -- the size of the left over (bad) AVI will tell you this. Same size each time or different?

I'm still at work, so can't give specifics right now, but I'll try when I get home tonight. From memory, the conversion fails at a point more than 50% of the way through the MOV each time. HDLink's status screen shows the AVI is always >2GB. I'll check the exact file lengths tonight.

Michael Ojjeh July 31st, 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1553885)
Does it crash on these large files at a random point, or the same point -- the size of the left over (bad) AVI will tell you this. Same size each time or different?

I downloaded the trial version to test it before I buy it and I was having the same problem, 80% of the time it was crashing with a large file, but other times it was not a big file, once you start it again the same file that made it crash works fine !!

Julian Frost July 31st, 2010 07:25 PM

Test #1
=====
MOV File Size: 4,256,803,293 bytes
AVI File Size: 6,040,090,624 bytes (when conversion stopped due to HDLink crash)

Test #2
=====
MOV File Size: 4,283,570,633 bytes
AVI File Size: 6,967,805,952 bytes (when conversion stopped due to HDLink crash)

I haven't yet tried the new Beta, posted today, as ESET's NOD32 still considers it a virus.

David Newman July 31st, 2010 07:29 PM

Please try the beta, I hoping it addresses the issue.

It is not a virus, that is a bug in your virus checker. :) Sadly there are a lot of false positives in virus tools (particularly the free ones for some reason.)

Julian Frost July 31st, 2010 07:39 PM

NOD32 is not a free virus checker, and has (according to reputable independent reports) never missed a virus in the past 5 years! I agree that this doesn't necessarily mean that it is not capable of giving false positives, but so far, the two most recent releases of Neo HD are the *only* reports of viruses I've seen from NOD32 on my system. I have filed a report with ESET, the software creator, and provided the link to the Beta so they can investigate.

Hannu Korpinen August 1st, 2010 12:48 AM

Norton 360 has no action for this update.
It's safe to update.