Does Neo 5 HD have alpha channel support? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does Neo 5 HD have alpha channel support?

Just wanted to check and see if the $499 Neo HD includes rendering cineform files with alpha channel via software such as After Effects?

Cheers

Paul
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Only Neo4K and Neo3D have alpha channel encoding.
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OUCH! - Why is that always the way? All I want is alpha in HD res - I dont want 4k, dont need 4k or any of the other features - even firstlight which I dont use BUT to get simple alpha channel support I have to pay $500 more?

Im sure there is a lengthy technical reason but ultimately it just doesnt seem right - is there anything you can do? I mean cant hurt to ask right?
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Here's the product grid: Cineform Product Grid

That's the line-up you can choose from. FWIW, in the not too distant past you couldn't get most of the best features that are now in NeoHD for $499 even in the now-obsolete $1K ProspectHD product. In other words, many of us paid twice as much for fewer features just a couple years ago. But hey, that's the march of technology, whether software or cameras!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lol - well yes that is a 'glass half full' way of looking at it - problem is my alternate view / reality is 'wallet half empty' all for the want of an alpha channel.

It would bug me to death knowing I paid $500 extra for something I can do in a quicktime container with png for free. Because then I have to look at the workflow and think well if Im going QT anyway then might as well go with DNxHD which is also free and almost as good as NeoHD...

But NeoHD with Alpha all in one convienient package and without QT and its CPU overhead performance penalty would be a no brainer...
Paul Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase