Stereoscopic editing workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Stereoscopic editing workflow

Hello,

I'm wondering how to accomplish a few things when using Cineform Neo HD's 3D features. My apologies if some of them are more Premiere-oriented knowledge.

1. What's the easiest way to go from editing a muxed 3D file to rendering out a 3840x1080 side-by-side full resolution 3D clip/cut (for web delivery)? Same question but for 1920x2160 (over/under). Do I have to render each eye independently and then composite them side-by-side (in Premiere is best I assume)?

2. What is the Cineform/Adobe Premiere CS5 equivalent of FCP's "Motion Compensated Deinterlace"?

3. What is the easiest way to preview the muxed 3D file in real-time, full screen, full-res using page-flip on a PC. I have tried the following methods:
First Light - OpenGL not working with my lower-end quadro card (although it works in Premiere)
Premiere Pro - OpenGL with Fast3D does the trick works but it's half vertical res. Full res drops lots of frames.
Stereoscopic Player - Can only preview muxed 3D files at half res (vert. or horiz). Spits an error if I try to play back left and right Cineform files (once they've been muxed that is)

4. When using the 29.97 1080p preset Cineform 3D preset, It seems like Premiere fails to render an image of an interlaced (3D or non-3D) source without "Fast3D" checked. Not particularly a problem, just noting it.

5. Is it possible to view things in First Light at 100% (pixel-per-pixel). I see no zoom/window control atm.

Thanks again,
Robert
Robert Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
New Boot

from side by side to full 2 eyes

hi robert! i've asked some of your questions on a separate thread, so i'll merge it with yours.

we will have very soon high pressure to be able to create 3D movies for cable networks.
one of our problem is : how to start from a file already encoded in 3D sibe by side to go to dual HD-SDI output with independant left and righ eyes ?

so using either premiere or final cut, this is a draft of the workflow
1) import the source file side by side in the timeline. since it will mostly be WMV hd or H264, the best choice seem to be premiere CS5 on windows with mercury playback with a nvidia GTX 470
2) resize the 2 sides to generate 2 independant output per eye. best resize like lancos algorithm is the key here.
3) be able to adjust sync and other feature needed to have a perfect dual files for 3D output
4) playback to a dual HD-SDI stream to feed a HDCAM SR in dual link mode

is this already a working workflow ? can it be done in realtime?

regards,
frédéric
Frédéric Salvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1. If this is a standard delivery method, we can add that. We have not had that request before. Most would either anamorphic side-by-side, separate left/right eyes, and more are accepting CineForm 3D files (the best of course.)

2. No idea.

3. FirstLight through a Quadro FX3800 or better. We will be making improvements to CS5 full res. playback so you don't need a supper fast PC, this is about 3 months out.

4. please file with support so they can test.

5. ALT+Enter will output FirstLight full screen. One day we will have a 1:1 view in the windowed mode.
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

1. Youtube 3D accepts full res 3D HD now (though I haven't personally tested it yet).

2. Adobe forums say the checkbox "Render Maximum Quality" in the export options will do motion compensated deinterlacing. Unfortunately, if the source or destination (or both) is a Cineform encoded file, all I get is black video. I will file this with support.

3. Bummer, I don't expect I have a Quadro 3800 or better in my future.

4. Will do.

5. Nice.

-Robert
Robert Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

1. Now I have personally test YouTube 3D and would like an easy way to output SBS or Over/Under full res 3D HD. If you get to that feature in a future update I would be very pleased :)

2. + 3. + 4.
Solved by a complete re-install and setting 3D settings slightly differently. No more black video, deinterlacing actually works, and FirstLight plays back at a more reasonable speed.

Even on a dedicated Cineform/Premiere computer, I was managing to corrupt my installation. I believe this was due to FLPlayer.exe crashing if one loads First Light while nVidia page-flipping is enable in Premiere Pro. I have filed this with support.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Kennedy; August 27th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Robert Kennedy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase