Cineform RAW and R3D Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform RAW and R3D Question

I'm working in Vegas 9. I've got a Red One project that I'm editing now with cineform Express 1k files. A couple questions.

Does Cineform Raw retain all the information from RED's sensor? Will I be able to make all the color correction changes in firstlight and modify the metadata like ISO, color temp, FLUT... everything that is in the File Format properties window in Vegas when I'm working with straight R3D's?

If so, can I make Cineform 4k raw files, and also make Cineform 1k Raw files. So I can do my edit and basic color correction on the 1k's and keep fast performance, then pass along the Firstlight settings to the 4k cineform raws and finalize the color and render.

All the hassle of working with that HEAVY camera in the heat was so I can have the ability to color correct in raw. So I don't want to "burn-in" any of the metadata til the final render.

Any advice?

Thanks!

By the way this is my first post!
Ben Hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CineForm RAW retains everything form the source R3D. Yes you can make CineForm Express proxy that identically color much CineForm RAW 4K masters. Also CineForm RAW files at 4K are significantly than R3D files, even for online editing. "I don't want to "burn-in" any of the metadata til the final render" -- of course, that is a CineForm design.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Yes you can make CineForm Express proxy that identically color much CineForm RAW 4K masters.
So I can make cineform raw 1K? what are the settings in the r2cf batch files to do that? What settings do i tick and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Also CineForm RAW files at 4K are significantly than R3D files, even for online editing.
Cineform raw at 4k are significantly... what? ...than r3d files?
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

significantly faster.

technically RAW can't be scaled to produce RAW. 1K express files are equivalent for color work, even if not internally RAW, the same corrections can be applied.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How can I color-correct the 1k files with ISO, White Balance, FLUT, etc... all those RAW specific corrections without the file being raw? ISO and white balance account for about 80% of my image.

What would happen if i ticked the -r ? I tried it with 1024x512 quality=3 but couldnt wait cause it was going at less than 1 fps and the computer lab closed.
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry there is plenty of obfuscation in red marketing, there is nothing inherently better CFA Bayer Encoding (i.e. "RAW") when color correcting, the same image and be stored in other formats and if enough precision is applied you can color corrected to wherever you need. The CineForm Express file are designed to color accurate proxies for CineForm RAW masters. While we don't use the terms like FLUT (marketing,) you can develop the image through FirstLight, possibility with more flexibility that red's own tools.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase