Image flip in Firstlight. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Image flip in Firstlight.

I have some footage I'm working on that was shot with a Redrock adapter and converted to cineform without rotating it 180 degrees to correct the orientation. So everything is upside down. If I go into Firstlight and flip the image 180 degrees on all of them, and save it, will they playback in realtime correctly oriented? Isn't that how firstlight works? Or is completely changing every pixel going to be more processor-intensive to play back?
Ben Hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

I use the flip feature on 3D content all the time. It is not more CPU intensive to use the flip. None of the metadata changes make the system work any harder as far as I know. Enjoy!

-John
John Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You not get something for nothing, all changes do add some compute time, but it is very efficient such that many operations you will not notice to increase in compute load. For 180 degree flip you can also used the option within HDlink to rotate your footage.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What do my settings need to be in HDlink to rotate footage? I converted something just now that came out rotated 180 degrees, but completely green. Attached is a screenshot of the settings I used. Basically just left everything off except M2 lens adapter mode. The file I tried it on was already a 1280 x 720 cineform file.

Also, how do I tell what compression level (Low, Medium, High, FilmScan, FilmScan 2) a file was converted at? I have mediainfo, and it says bit rate is 39.6 Mbps on this particular file. Are there certain bit rate values that correspond to certain compression settings? Or should I be looking at another value in mediainfo?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Image flip in Firstlight.-benhscreen1.jpg  
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Ben,

I don't understand you question on rotation, given how you started this thread. You can do either, HDLink (for the reason I explained) or in FirstLight, both work.

Green image, how do you get that? One or two others have reported green images yet we can't determine what is happening there (no reproducable here.)

You can use to the data-rate or filesize to determine what quality was used on the initial encode -- CineForm is a VBR (Variable Bit Rate codec) or constant quality design, so data rate vary based on the source image.

If you need to know you can use this tiny shell tool:
http://cineform.com/downloads/ParseCFHD.zip
Unzip and install in C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools

from a shell
>parsecfhd MVI_0081-001.avi -h
4:2:2 CineForm 2D File 1920 x 1080 quality 3

quality numbers
1 - low
2 - medium
3 - high
4 - Filmscan1
5 - Filmscan2
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Great shell tool thanks!

Maybe in a future release... some sort of integration with the CineformActiveMetadataStatusViewer.exe possibly...

Maybe the user could check a box in that menu that says... "CFHD info in Explorer" and then it would add an option in the right-click menu that says "View CFHD Encode Information"

And it would return something like:
Cineform 2D File
4:2:2
1920 x 1080
quality 3 (High)
encode date: 10/19/2010
encoded with: HDLink (or Remaster, or Vegas 10.0a, or Premiere CS5)
license: NeoScene

I don't know how hard it would be to make the shell tool work in a right-click menu, but I think a lot of people would appreciate this information. When someone finds a file that doesn't look great, they want to know why. And if they have different versions of a rendered project, they could see when they were actually created, not just when windows says the file was created, as that can change if it gets copied to external disks, etc.

Great product!
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

on the green image thing... would you like my file so that you can do testing? since you said you can't reproduce it. doesn't matter to me, i got my thing figured out, but if it would help you....
Ben Hickson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase