Cineform Capture - Best options for FX1000? Suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform Capture - Best options for FX1000? Suggestions?

Hey there FX1000 Fans!

Haven't posted for a while, but here's the deal. Got a smokin' fast I7 Core (930) computer but still hate the drag on the system when viewing video during the editing process. Everything's choppy with each effect I am overlaying via my native .m2t files. SO - Splurge and get Cineform I'm told. Well, I got the demo and I'm pretty impressed overall (only 4 days left!). But what I'd like to know is, what are the best/ideal capturing options as per the FX1000 (which I would then scoop back into Vegas for editing)?

I see that you can opt for HQ (duh...figure that's best).

I-frames only...checked or unchecked?

Output Frame Format: Maintain Source Frame Format? Progressive Source? Deinterlaced? (Checked or unchecked)

I don't necessarily want to convert to 24p, but do like the option. Ideally, I want movement to look as good as possible (panning in say a nature video shot). I understand 30p IS WHAT CINEFORM uses when the 24p option isn't chosen?

LASTLY: Do I want to capture the audio using CINEFORM too or just the video?

Please and thanks SO MUCH for any of your great thoughts and recommendations in this regard: Makes my purchasing decision more validated when I know what turns other users cranks.

Looking forward to your responses.

Martin Bannet
Martin Bannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I-frames only - check.

>Output Frame Format: Maintain Source Frame Format? Progressive Source? Deinterlaced? (Checked or unchecked)

Depends on want you want to do. Generally leave alone, unless you want to deinterlace 60i source for a progressive output.

CineForm is what every format you want, not just 30 or 24p.

Audio is left as is.
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank You!

I guess I should do a tutorial search for NeoScene. But I think I get it. Have done some conversion experiments and definitely DON'T like the 24p conversion/capture look.

I think the fact that TV broadcasts in 60i (right?) and that the film camera shoots in the same format - I shouldn't convert to Progressive even if I am burning a Blu-Ray of things (which I've yet to try). Lots to learn, but thank you!

Martin Bannet
Martin Bannet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase