Neo 3D & FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Neo 3D & FCP

Hi

I have SI2K 3D footage acquired at 2048x856, how can I edit this with having playback in canvas and Digital Cinema Desktop in side by side mode in FCP?

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

as a side-note, I cannot use PP5.0.2 at all, I had older install then the PP importer presets appeared in the sequence presets but when selecting any of them then I got an error stating that decoder is missing and should be re-installed. After updating to last release the presets do not appear but when making manually the by selecting Cineform RT, when clicking OK the PP will just crash.

Thank You
-Kaspar
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

A couple of questions about your playback settings.

1) Is the file still in RAW format?
2) What is the resolution of the monitor you are using for Cinema Desktop?
3) Are you trying to use the RT Enabler?

RT Enabler only recognizes and enables real-time playback for the following resolutions above HD

2048x1152
2048x1024
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi

I am on a expired trial because I refuse to give another 1.5K USD for a product that does not work.
If I use non native setting then all frames will be rendered anyways (orange bar) in 2.x neo4K so I can use just regular ProRez timeline and get same performance. I am running on Chameleon Mac in i7 980 clocked to 4.2GHz (12GB RAM) and it will drop frames every second or so even with fast mode.

It is just that I have not lately edited anything (about a year) and hoped that some improvements had been made.

I use the same system for speedgrade work and it works flawlessly when the codec is uninstalled! Install the codec and I will start getting random crashes.

NB! I was hoping a little better support for PP

Thank You
-Kaspar
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Kasper, was that a post asking for help, or just attempting to flame? Craig asked some reasonable quesitons, so didn't deserve that follow up. FCP has some limitations beyond HD (particularly Cinema Desktop,) it always has, but we do work around some of these. We also have PP support that is getting to the point where will be take it out of beta is a few weeks. Please send you questions to support if you interested in using our products, they can extend trials if needed and get you the running latest PPro tools. If you are not interested in using our products, you can transcode to other format as needed.

Last edited by David Newman; October 27th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Kallas View Post
Hi

...in 2.x neo4K so I can use just regular ProRez timeline and get same performance. I am running on Chameleon Mac in i7 980 clocked to 4.2GHz (12GB RAM) and it will drop frames every second or so even with fast mode.
Thank You
-Kaspar
2.x is at least 6 months old and predates any real-time support in FCP. With FCP the number of cores your machine has is meaningless since it will only thread with the real-time support. This means your i7 980 with 12GB of RAM is really a single core, non-hyperthreaded, 4GB RAM system when playing any codec not directly supported by FCP.
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi

Sorry for the negative tone but I think I have a reason to be, at least, a bit mad.

1. Would the 5.x work on such spec machine with SI2K 3D material full 2K (2048x1152@24fps with about 50% uncompressed frames in the stream) The HDD array provides around 450MB/s read performance.

2. Is there any way to get the PP working, as everybody seems to be pointing at FCP for flaws?

3. All footage is camera raw (from v2 of SI), Cinemadesktop is running @ 1920x1080 60Hz progressive

Thank You
-Kaspar

Last edited by Kaspar Kallas; October 27th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added point 3
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have been doing some testing on both FCP and CS5. Final Cut is a little odd in how it handles the 2K material to the Cinema Desktop when the monitor attached is only 1920x1080.

It looks more promising under CS5. I am testing with the Panasonic 3D monitor connected using DVI-D. The monitor is set to 2D mode so it appears to the Mac as a 1080p device.

The playback module we have for CS5 can be set to send the stereo image out as line interlace to match the monitor. This works for the HD material. I still need to check the 2K.

You do need to be careful on your choice of monitor for playback if you use a TV. Some TV monitors do some scaling so that the lines that correspond to left and right eye images do not line up.
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi

1. Do you support side-by-side mode in PP? It is very helpful to have one good quality regular calibrated screen attached and the split the signal to 3D. All the 3DTV seems to have a degree of funkiness when it comes to color.

2. Any usual suspects for my PP setup not working? PP5.0.2 CF5.0.25.156(first installed codec then PP plugin) before uninstalled everything and cleaned out the library folder.

Thank You
-Kaspar
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

1. Yes. You need to select 2D playback and then set the decoder to side-by-side for now.
2. What is the version of the plugin? The latest version is b16, the testing I did was using b15.
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi

Where will I find the plugin version: the CF version is 5.0.25.156 and plugin installer came with that.

Thank You
-Kaspar
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok after spending few hours installing/uninstalling the codec and trying various options:
I got the PP5 to work with my files when using 1920x1080@24.00 timeline.
I have the sony 40HX800 so the only options for me are side-by-side or over & under. Everything seems to work smoothly.

1. Because I use 2048x856 files I need to scale the input to 93.7% after that all matches up nicely.
2. I tried the interlaced mode for the fun of it but it is messed up (I think because of the not 1920x1080) frame size
3. In sequence setting I am using CF RGB 1920x1080@23.976 - could we get true 24.00 as this what my DCP masters are running at.

One feature request: Could we get the parralx shifting tools in PP as effect? I know this would break uniformity of first-light but it would be so much easier to deal with because we have no external monitor under OSX so I could see the what I am doing on 3D screen.

Thank You
-Kaspar

Last edited by Kaspar Kallas; November 1st, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: feature request
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase