Cineform under VMWare - licensing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Cineform under VMWare - licensing question

I have Cineform and Vegas 9 on my XP64 i7 machine. Upgraded to Vegas 10 and discovered it won't run on XP64 because it needs SP3 on XP. And XP64 never had an SP3 so I'm running Vegas 10 under VMware on a Win7 guest (virtual) machine

I believe that I need CIneform installed on the guest machine so I can render into Cineform. What's the licensing requirement for Cineform on a virtual machine? Can it be covered if there is a Cineform license on the host (real) machine?

I have to capture on the host (real machine) because VMWare doesn't pass the Firewire port to the guest machine, so it isn't just a matter of moving the license.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You're trying to do it backwards. I run Premiere with Cineform on Windows 7 64-bit and use its virtual XP machine to run what doesn't run on Win7, like my Epson 3200 scanner. That way Premiere and Cineform get to use all 8 cores.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think so.

Vegas, while important, accounts for maybe 3% of what gets run on this machine. It's mostly for things like RealFlow fluid sim, Cinema4D/Fry Render, Photoshop. InDesign, and maybe another 20 to 30 apps that I do not want to have to re-install and re-authenticate.

Now, if Msoft had figured out an upgrade path from XP to Win 7 that didn't entail starting all over at the beginning I'd be a lot more open to the idea.

As it is, I'll probably move to Win 7 for my next machine in 2 or 3 years. But for now, this XP system has been extremely stable and performs very very well indeed so I'm not inclined to tamper with it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

By the way, I don't necessarily expect a FREE license to run under VMWare - it would be nice, but I think the folks at Cineform should get SOMETHING - I just don't want to have to get a complete new copy of Neo 4k - I'd be happy to buy an upgrade if it would let me upgrade both copies on the same physical machine.

Maybe the really right answer is to just forget about Vegas 10 and give it away or something and stay with Vegas 9 for the next couple of years.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase