Can't get smooth H.264 with AME and Cineform preset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 5th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't get smooth H.264 with AME and Cineform preset

Don't know if this is me or Cineform or Adobe CS5, but I can't export smooth H.264 1080p from AME when I use a Cineform preset. The MP4 plays jerky, like it is only picking up the keyframes. In fact if I set the keyframe to a smaller number (the default is 33; I''ve tried 16 and 6) the video gets smoother. The issue seems independent of bitrate.

MPEG2 1020p exports play smoothly; Cineform 1020p exports play smoothly. MP4 1024p exports from other presets play smoothly (for example if I use the DSLR preset). 720p MP4 exports from Cineform presets play smoothly. This is all at 29.97. So the issue seems just with 1080p with a Cineform preset.

Is it just me? Has anyone else seen this?

---------------------
I tried this on a second system. The exported H.264 1080p video starts out with the same jerky motion for about 10 seconds, and then plays smoothly for the balance of the video. This is the same CS5 vesrion, on a different computer. The effect is there, but does not last for the entire export.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; December 6th, 2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add info
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Its not a Cineform issue. I've had the same issue with h.264 export as well while using other formats as well.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I keep testing H.264 exports and the jerky output with 1080p keeps pointing to the Cineform RT timeline; it just isn't there on other timelines. I was hopeful the new PPro CS5 5.0.3 release would clear this up, but it didn't. It would be useful if anyone else would report whether or not they have H.264 export problems from Cineform timelines in CS5. Again, I only see the issue at 1080p, not 720p.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase