Cineform support for overbrights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform support for overbrights

I am rendering out a project from Fusion to the cineform DPX-C (thanks to Axel Mertes for the awesome plugin)

Everything is cool except I have some luminance values way above 1 in Fusion that I need to preserve (to function as a mask later.....it's complicated).... but when they come out of fusion into DPX-C they are truncated at 1 or less.

When I render to EXR the bright values are retained...(actually up to 3 or more)

does Cineform have support for floating point value's above 1 ?
Thanks
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There are not floating point pixel format support (yet), so you need to preserve all your image data in the 0 to 1 range. Think of CineForm like a DPX 10-bit master, that does handle whites above 1023 (10-bit one), yet with a Log curve a white stored a 685, your white extremes can be 4 stops over -- this works fine for CineForm encodes. As the encode and decode can have separate curves (experiment in FirstLight), Axel Mertes plugin could automatically set up a high dynamic range curve for you, that outputs in the display(decode) curve you want.
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ok thanks David...
I see what you mean....I always go linear so I don't think in curves...but I will forward that idea to Axel.

Floating point support would be very cool.....I would love to run my entire pipeline in cineform...but right now still need EXR for it's extra buffer support.....hint...hint
:)
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

By extra buffer, do you mean extra channels? Are they are the same resolution as the source, how many extra would be of use?
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ya same resolution....

depth is probably most important to me...followed by objectID, x,y,z motion and normal's
depth would be best implemented floating point...as you can get huge values.
i would jump for joy, if i had a few of these in cineform.

if you guys could develop something with support for these as well as deep compositing support, you would have the holy grail of image formats....you already do in my opinion in the editing/finishing side....

check out Deep Image Compositing In Depth
there is a growing movement for deep images...but currently only proprietary...(usually in house) image formats support it....and due to some limitations in EXR....it currently cannot support it either.
This will be big in a very short time....
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase