5D MOV to Cineform AVIs Choppy Playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Major Player

5D MOV to Cineform AVIs Choppy Playback

I had a problem with this before and went to the Start Menu (VISTA) and Cineform Tools menu and set playback to fast. That seem to work a few months ago. BUT:
.....the other day I processed some AVIs and clicked on an AVI to play it - It played alright but was choppy and not smooth. I went into the Start Menu and set the playback to fast and it still was choppy. Any ideas?

Thanks
Harry
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Ok after over a day and no response from Cineform - this is a bug? Does Cineform NOT work with Vegas 10? Is it my new deodorant or just my spelling?
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
I had a problem with this before and went to the Start Menu (VISTA) and Cineform Tools menu and set playback to fast. That seem to work a few months ago. BUT:
.....the other day I processed some AVIs and clicked on an AVI to play it - It played alright but was choppy and not smooth. I went into the Start Menu and set the playback to fast and it still was choppy. Any ideas?

Thanks
Harry
Hi Harry,

Are you playing it back from within Vegas? Did you try playing the file with quicktime or windows media player with a different result?

How many frames per second are you getting when its choppy? Is this a 2D or 3D file? Maybe we can narrow down the problem to one app.

John
John Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reeve View Post
Hi Harry,

Are you playing it back from within Vegas? Did you try playing the file with quicktime or windows media player with a different result?

How many frames per second are you getting when its choppy? Is this a 2D or 3D file? Maybe we can narrow down the problem to one app.

John
Playing the file in Windows Media Player. Just now tried to download the NeoPlay upgrade that came out this month and get the message "NeoPlayer should not be installed over commercial Cineform tools, as all the features of NeoPlayer are within NeoScene, HD, 4K and 3D product lines. If you wist to continue uninstall your Cineform tools first."

2D only. It will play about 2 seconds stop, and repeat......
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Harry, I live in Nashville as well and work with Vegas / Cineform a lot. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I'd be happy to help you to get up to speed.
Ben Hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Ben,

I'd definitely like to compare notes with you sometime!! I've been working with Cineform and Vegas for two years now though I don't sound like it. :-)

The AVI playback used to be choppy then I applied the ALL PROGRAMS - CineForm - Tools - Desktop Playback Fast and it wasn't choppy anymore.....This must be a CineForm problem becuase this is just taking a MOV raw - converting to Cineform AVI - same as original properties and trying to run that converted AVI in Windows Media Player.

It plays for a few seconds, stops and then plays again and just repeats that through the whole AVI.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Major Player

No one knows? Maybe it's my GPS coords are off.....that's it!
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

First off, you're running Vista. Dump it and get 7. It's cheap at Staples. Vista is a processor hog, and decoding Cineform needs your processor.

Also, the playback-fast setting simply sets your files to decode at half resolution. You have to restart the player application for it to take effect.

Also, media player in windows 7 has some new properties that allow for better decode of video files, especially h.264.

So anyways, what you're seeing is correct. Unless you have a very fast machine, do not expect it to play back at full resolution (desktop playback - quality). Almost all machines I work on require me to set it to desktop playback - fast. It's actually the reason I love Cineform. Instant Half and quarter resolution decode, so I can play my file anytime while still retaining the full quality for rendering etc. It's not a bug.
Ben Hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: 5D MOV to Cineform AVIs Choppy Playback

In another time I swear I was able to set this to fast and play the AVIs smoothly. But it seems to not work anymore. I now have to render to see it anywhere close to smoothly. This is on Windows 7 by the way now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase