Can't decompress CineForm in Compressor! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Can't decompress CineForm in Compressor!

For some reason, we can't seem to decompress or transcode video material from CineForm 2D to h.264 or any other CODEC in Compressor.

One of two errors shows up in the batch monitor
1) Quicktime Error -50
2) CODEC not found

The errors only appear after the footage has been chewed through. In other words, we see the progress bar chewing through the footage, and it usually takes the expected 10-20 minutes to make it through the footage. Once it appears to have completed, only then does it report an error, and all of the progress files disappear.

We literally have Terabytes of footage in some CineForm 2D format. We've downloaded the free NeoScene Player, and can play the files in quicktime no problem. In addition, the movies show up just fine in the preview window.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Tim Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Can't decompress CineForm in Compressor!

Open the CineForm system preference pane and make sure all the pixel formats are enabled. Compressor/QuickTime will return this error if a pixel format it expects is not supported. Playing in QuickTime only uses the 2vuy (8-bit YUV) pixel format, but compressor will usually request one of the deeper formats.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Craig, I'll have to try that when we get a chance...

We actually discovered that it if we got rid of the IN/OUT points in compressor, it went through smoothly. Not sure what it would be about setting IN and OUT points that would make CineForm angry, but that's what worked for us. I'll have to try using IN / OUT points with "All Pixel Formats" enabled to see if it works any better. Will report back...
Tim Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Yeah, as it turns out, that didn't work for us either. I ensured that all the 'pixel formats' boxes were checked. For some reason, we just can't choose in/out points in compressor. We got the 'Failed' result and 'QuickTime Error -50' again
Tim Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase