720p to 16:9 SD, avi files are squished when played back. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

720p to 16:9 SD, avi files are squished when played back.

Unsing HDlink, I'm converting 720p footage (1280x720) to 16:9 avi files and they play back in Windows Media Player (latest version) squished and appear squished in Vegas until "fixed" in Vegas by changing the clip properties (changing PAR to 1.2121) and then they are fine.

This situation is fine most of the time, when I'm editing my own footage. I'm converting footage now to edit. But for others to whom I must give raw footage to, this is not acceptable.

Jim Snow said that the Cineform files inherently lack all of the information needed to tell programs what PAR they are.

David, you recommended I convert to 1280x720, and I have tried it and it works without the above issue, but then it will still need to be resized or cropped by my customer, or there will bars at the side.

Am I doing something wrong, what setting am I missing? I have used Neoscene and this did not occur, so I trust I'm missing something here.

Edit I am figuring out that bottom line, if you need avis with proper PAR info embedded, you cannot accomplish this with HDLink. You can accomplish this with Vegas.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 11th, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 720p to 16:9 SD, avi files are squished when played back.

I just read a thread from back in November where Matthew had the same issue, exactly.

His Neoscene files were of the correct PAR, but not his HDLink converted files were not.

I've brought this up when I used the trial of HDlink, and at that time the workaround suggested was fine for me at the time. But I have customers that cannot use these files as they are. I've brought this up repeatedly now and am just worn out with it.

Is there no solution? I have a lady in Tennessee waiting for her footage.

I'll file a ticket and hope for the best.
Old April 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Major Player

The header of AVI files do not contain a field to indicate PAR, therefore, Windows Media Player will always play them with a PAR of 1:1. Although, there is a setting in later versions of WMP where you can set the display aspect ratio manually.

Last edited by John Cline; April 10th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

John, why would it be that avis rendered by Vegas have the correct PAR? Why also does Neoscene produce avis with correct par, but not HDlink?

These are the issues that perplex me.
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It would appear that I will need to use Vegas to render to avi for customer's raw footage. I would think this would be right up HDlink's alley.

I've used Vegas to render avis of various dimensions, when prepping for flv conversion, never had a problem with aspect ratio regardless of what I chose.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 11th, 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase