CS5.5 Compatable?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Trustee

CS5.5 Compatable??

Will our current CS5 versions of CF be compatable with the new CS5.5 being released in May?
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: CS5.5 Compatable??

I agree, it would be nice to get a response on this. Seems like a pretty basic question and there's not a peep about it on the website. Just installed the trial and the new version of CF Neo and it doesn't look like any Cineform-related stuff is working in 5.5. What am I doing wrong if anything?
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I would like the word on this as well, 5.5 has some compelling features so hopefully CineForm works on it.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
Just installed the trial and the new version of CF Neo and it doesn't look like any Cineform-related stuff is working in 5.5...
Whoa... That's a bummer.
I have CS5.5 on order, but am going to be reluctant to install until it's clear that CF is compatable.
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Well it works fine for me CS5.5
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #6
New Boot

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...ml#post1646070
Andreas Caemmerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Major Player

I realize this may seem curmudgeonly of me, but two conflicting posts and barely enough detail to be tantilizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
I agree, it would be nice to get a response on this. Seems like a pretty basic question and there's not a peep about it on the website. Just installed the trial and the new version of CF Neo and it doesn't look like any Cineform-related stuff is working in 5.5. What am I doing wrong if anything?
Could you please expand on what you tried to do with Cineform under the trial version of PPro CS 5.5? Were you unable to import Cineform avi files? Would they not play from a timeline? Are you trying to see real time FL color corrections on a PPro timeline? Export from a timeline to a Cineform file? Something else?

Also, did you have an existing NeoHD (or NeoScene) that you uninstalled before bringing in the CS5.5 and new CF trials? Did you install the new CF after installing the PPro CS 5.5 trial? My recollection from when I went from CS4 to CS5 is that I had to first uninstall Cineform (using the CF Uninstall utility which avoids deactivation) before installing CS5. Then, after installing CS5, I reinstalled CF. I believe CS 5.5 is a "new install" (which leaves your CS 5 alone) and thus may require these steps. I don't know if this is required, but you might try it if you did not already do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brun View Post
Well it works fine for me CS5.5
same questions for you. How and what did you test to confirm CF was working under CS 5.5? What version of CF and build are you using? Did you install a full version or a trial version of PPro CS5?
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Those details would indeed be interesting.
But, what I would really like to hear is some response from CF regarding CS5.5 compatability.
Surely they have tested with CS5.5, or perhaps not yet...
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Major Player

I agree that it would be nice to get CF's evaluation.

What is compatibility if not things like these details?

If not, I do not understand what is meant by compatibility. Are you asking if a having CF application will prevent CS5.5 from from even running?
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
same questions for you. How and what did you test to confirm CF was working under CS 5.5? What version of CF and build are you using? Did you install a full version or a trial version of PPro CS5?
I am using a full version of Adobe Prem 5.5 and Cinefrom Neo 5.5.0.319 with codec 7.2.3.583
I have no problems using previous encoded cineform material and also exporting to the cineform codec.

I have not tested out the Alpha Channel capability yet with Cineform but will do later next week.

Gary
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Robert:

Sorry, if my last post came across as snarky. What I mean is that, while we wait for Cineform to respond, we have a couple of test cases here. Ben asks "what am I doing wrong" because he cannot get the trial version of CS5.5 to work with Cineform. Without details, it is hard to respond helpfully to this or know what to make of it. One possibility is that the PPro CS5.5 trial version does not work with CF apps. Adobe's website cautions that the trial version of PPro CS5 may not work with third party plug-ins and apps. In the past, CF trial versions have worked with Adobe trial versions, but maybe something is different now? Gary's good experience (full CS 5.5 version) suggests that the problem might be with the trial versions that Ben is using. Since Gary is using an older version (NeoHD 5.5.0 b 319), maybe the problem is with the new CF trial?
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
What I mean is that, while we wait for Cineform to respond, we have a couple of test cases here.
I agree.
Gary's experience is encouraging for me, as I will be using the full version of CS5.5, and I have a variety of Neo4K 5.xx versions available.
I think I'll go on and install CS5.5 next week & give it a try.
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Just to throw in my 2 cents:

I just installed a new system hard drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, CS 5.5 Trial, and Cineform Neo (registered version).

I shot three 30 second clips on my Canon 5D mk II at 24p. I then converted the MOV files to CFAVI using the default HD Link settings, and then created a Premier Pro CS 5.5 project using the Cineform 24p preset.

When I added the CFAVI clips to the timeline, there was no render-bar. When I added Cineform Crossfade Dissolve transitions (from the supplied Cineform Video Transitions folder) to the clips, the render-bar turned red above each of the transitions.

When I played the timeline back, it was pretty choppy, especially at the transitions. When I had Windows XP, Premier Pro CS3 and Neo installed on this computer, playback was always smooth (though PPro CS would crash on me constantly!).

As a comparison, I created a Premier Pro CS 5.5, project using Adobe's 24p preset. I loaded the original MOV files from the 5D mk II, added Crossfade Dissolves from Adobe's default transitions, and the timeline played back smoothly.

So, my experience shows that *something* is not working as well with CFAVI playback in a CF preset on Premier Pro CS 5.5 Trial.

Three different people at Adobe told me, on three separate occasions, that the files supplied in the Trial (both the downloaded version and the purchased DVD version) are IDENTICAL in EVERY WAY (their words) to the store-bought, full DVD installation disks. The only thing that changes how the software works, is the serial number used to activate it.

I don't know why the Trial would not work properly with Neo, even if the Trial does not come with "some 3rd party codecs"... as the missing codecs would be supplied by installing Neo! Adobe told me that after entering a valid serial number, the missing codecs would be downloaded, and the currently locked out features would be enabled. I have successfully exported Adobe 24p Preset timelines containing Canon 5d mk II MOIV files to CF AVI using Adobe Media Encoder, so I know the Cineform codec is installed already.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #14
New Boot

I think there is a problem with the codec : Some files play smoothly on WMP but not on VLC and QT.

For me the solution as of now is to revert to a pre 5.5.x version
Ariel Gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re: VLC

It is not supposed to play in VLC, never has, and likely never will (VLC policies not ours.) QT is not a good playback solution for Windows. There is not a codec problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase