Cineform and Final Cut Pro X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Cineform and Final Cut Pro X

I'm thinking of switching to a Mac as from videos the new Final Cut Pro X looks very impressive.

Does Cineform support Final Cut Pro X from day one or will there be an update later on?

Thanks.
Kris Haamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cineform and Final Cut Pro X

Apple has not revealed any details about FCP X. They will need to support QuickTime files, so importing into FCP X will be possible. What is not clear is how their "optimizations" will burn in any metadata changes, and how much control you have over that.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM   #3
New Boot

FCP X is out. Would love to get an update once you can test it with Cineform.
Kris Haamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We haven't tested it yet, it is harder to purchase software instantly now that we are big company :). However customers have reported that CineForm is one of the few third party not broken by FCP-X. We will do our analysis over the next few days, but the news today seems positive for CineForm users.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tere Kris

It seems to work, my one generation old Macbook Pro 2.66 is struggling with 2K SI stere footage but seems to work better than it was in FCP, just make sure You disable ALL background rendering tasks. But the CPU usage is full 400% when in playback - so that is an improvement actually!

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

How do you set it up?

I can import CF files just fine, but that's about it...?

All internal rendering will be to a ProRes flavor of your choice, or 10 bit uncompressed.

Same for sharing. Even if you choose "same as current", and you imported a CF file, it will use the internal render settings (see above).

I don't see any way to import, edit and spit out a CF file with FCP X at the time.

I'd be happy to be corrected, though.

PS. Exporting to 10 bit uncomp. and then recompressing that to CF doesn't count as a solution.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That is true, I just wish I could export plain old EDL as I use Iridas tools anyways, guess back to old school hand written TC's, like we used to do for film jobs....

Hopefully there will be the XML soon enough....
I really would like to use this instead of PP, I love PP playback engine but editing in it is even worse than avid.
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #8
New Boot

Andree is correct, there is no way to export a Cineform file out of FCPX. Cineform's site also lists support for iMovie. I haven't looked to see if it's possible to export a CF file out of iMovie, which wouldn't do me any good anyway. I guess I'm figuring if it works in iMovie, it can't be that difficult to bring that function into FCPX.
Steve MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oddly, iMovie gives you more options on export, and supports the QuickTime codecs. Because of that, it will export to CineForm. FCP-X does not use QuickTime (32-bit) for export, so it is limited in the formats supported.

We have heard that it may be possible to export using Compressor, and will look into that.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #10
New Boot

Yes, you can indeed export to Cineform from FCPX utilizing Compressor 4. Send to Compressor, apply a job, and under the Summary tab, click on the video settings. Here you can choose from many codecs including Cineform.
Steve MacDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase