DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   How to use proxies with project already laid out using original footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/496790-how-use-proxies-project-already-laid-out-using-original-footage.html)

Jeff Harper June 5th, 2011 05:56 AM

How to use proxies with project already laid out using original footage

I have only used HDLink for converting 720 60p clips to SD, for when the final project is SD.

Now I have a project going to bluray, but I want to edit using Cineform files this time, after already having set up the project in Vegas. I've already synced 12 hours worth of footage (4 cameras) which took a while.

I had thought I could actually edit four lines of AVCHD files but I cannot. My new raid setup does help, but is not enough.

Can I use HDLink to create proxies after the fact that can be swapped out in my current project? Or is it too late? Will I have to recreate my project using Cineform files?

Garrett Low June 7th, 2011 10:34 AM

Re: How to use proxies with project already laid out using original footage

No need to recreate your project. Use HDLink to create your CF files from the original AVC files, Then go to the Project Media Tab in Vegas, select one of the files, right click, choose Replace File (or media or something like that, can't remember off the top of my head), then choose the CF file that replaces that one. There may be some kind of script if you have the same file names (different extensions) that might be able to do a batch replace. Edward Troxel may have one.

-Garrett

Jeff Harper June 7th, 2011 10:49 AM

Garrett, thanks very much for your post,

I had hoped that HDlink could create proxies that would appear to Vegas as the same as the original files, and I could just direct Vegas to find all new files at one time, by renaming original folder, causing Vegas to not find the original files, and then I would direct it to the proxy file, and after a couple of clicks Vegas would find them all in the new proxy folder.

I guess thats a long way of saying yes, I would need/want to do a batch replace, as there are probably well over a hundred clips, if not two hundred, in this project.

Garrett Low June 7th, 2011 12:47 PM

If the files are the same name including the extension, and you move the original files or rename the directory they're in, Vegas will ask if you want to look for replacements or specify a new file. Once it finds one it will then recognize the other replacement files and ask if you want to use those too. I don't know if it will work with same file name different extension. Never tried that but it's worth a try.

-Garrett

Jeff Harper June 7th, 2011 01:40 PM

Garrett, I don't think it will work with different extensions, that will be the problem, I think. I will bring this part of the problem up in Vegas and see what Edward or anyone else suggests.

You have helped me focus on the real issue, which will be replacing files in the project with files with a different extension. thanks

Barry Nolan June 7th, 2011 07:01 PM

Jeff,
I don't know about Vegas, but after making a set of masters and proxies with HDLink, and using adobe pro, you can right click on each clip in the project folder and replace them with the proxies individually. The file extension doesen't seem to matter doing it this way.Then when done replace the proxies with the masters.I have done it in the past and a hundred files won't take to long. Working out a workflow before
starting a project is really inportant.

Ian Stark June 8th, 2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1656336)
You have helped me focus on the real issue, which will be replacing files in the project with files with a different extension. thanks

I think you're right. If you batch change the extension in Windows then Vegas will simply pick up the new files, assuming they are in the same location. Obviously you'll need to make sure you move the old files elsewhere first! There are plenty of batch change file extension utilities out there.

Jeff Harper June 8th, 2011 01:43 AM

Gearshift might work better for this than using Cineform

Hi Ian, thanks for chiming in. A possible windows issue with changing extentions, is that in some cases files can become useless when the extension is changed, but I don't know if that would happen with avi file names being changed to avchd extensions. I could find out by trying.

I remember that Gearshift by Vasst, one of my favorite old programs, will do this entire operation with m2t files,. However I just looked up the program on their website and see that it now works with avchd files as well. It will creat proxies, and then with the click of a button it will swap out files at-will within Vegas.

I used the program for mt2 files, and it worked flawlessly several years ago when I used it a few times. I have an older version of Gearshift, but I'll have to look into this further to see if I need to update my version, or what.

Ian Stark June 8th, 2011 02:09 AM

Jeff, that was poorly thought through on my part! Your batch operation shouldn't be in Windows at all. Long night - ignore!

Jeff Harper June 8th, 2011 06:01 AM

No worries, thanks for jumping in! Always a pleasure to hear from you!