DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   5D Mk2 Render to Self Contained Quicktime (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/496911-5d-mk2-render-self-contained-quicktime.html)

Harry Simpson June 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

5D Mk2 Render to Self Contained Quicktime

I'm usually using a workflow which takes a 5D Mk2 MOV file and uses Cineform to convert to an AVI. I then edit and either render to BluRay or render to a MP4 file for upload to Vimeo or YouTube. Considering entering a 48HR and they require a "self contained Quicktime file".
Is there a render from Vegas Pro to this? and what properties are common? Leave at 1920x1080 30p or does it need to be converted to another format?
I'm using Pro 10.0d on Windows 7 box.

David Newman June 8th, 2011 10:14 AM

Re: 5D Mk2 Render to Self Contained Quicktime

I'm very experienced with the 48 Hour Film Project, entered it eight times, and done the HD projection for San Diego for the last for years. Those submission requirements are to preventing you making a reference movie (where the real media is left on you hard drive.) All quicktime exports from Vegas will be self contained. You should contact the local 48Hr producer as submission requirement can be different for cities projecting in HD. In San Diego we distinctly prefer not to have a DVD or a Quicktime file "with no proprietary codecs" so we want it to look good, therefor CineForm files or ProRES in a pinch.

Harry Simpson June 8th, 2011 11:26 AM

David,

That is their requirement - so would Cineform transform for editing sake and then render back out to a MOV be legal? Is Cineform transfer if later rendered considered a proprietory codec??

David Newman June 8th, 2011 11:46 AM

As I point out their requirement might be wrong for your city. All they typically want is SD DV, yuck! It doesn't matter what you edit with, as long as they can playback the result (why you should check.) If you submit a DV encoded self contained MOV, yet they are projecting HD, you will be kicking yourself.

Harry Simpson June 8th, 2011 01:24 PM

I've checked and this is it for the Nashville 48hr:

(preferred) a self-contained Quicktime file with no proprietary codecs on either:
- a data DVD, or
- a USB flash drive
-or-
miniDV
-or-
playable DVD

miniDV and playable (SD as you point out) DVD are out

So I'll probably try to opt for the
(preferred) a self-contained Quicktime file with no proprietary codecs on either:
- a data DVD

David Newman June 8th, 2011 03:43 PM

That what the web-site says, it is boiler-plate, you need to check if your producer is HD capable -- unfortunately not many cities are. In San Diego we give completely different instruction to was the web says to do.

Harry Simpson June 8th, 2011 07:40 PM

Now i'm understanding...email sent.....no response yet.