DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HE MOV not recognized (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/496932-he-mov-not-recognized.html)

Harry Simpson June 8th, 2011 07:52 PM

HE MOV not recognized

That's HD MOV not HE MOV

I'm a PC and a second shooter gave me output from his iMovie after he edited original Canon MOV files. He says they are HD Mov files and i don't know why but Cineform totally doesn't recognize them...is there a workaround?

Carlo Macchiavello June 10th, 2011 08:22 AM

Re: HE MOV not recognized

if you have final cut on MacOS you have additional mov codec that you cannot have under pc, but if work under imovie, from that i remember you save in mov codec that are avaible on both platform.
open it with quicktime player, and check movie info to see what kind of codec he use.
if you have quicktime pro you can save it in no compress mov, or directly to cineform.

Harry Simpson June 10th, 2011 12:53 PM

Carlo,

I tried to load it into Quicktime on my PC and Quicktime doesn't even recognize the .MOV!

I've asked the other shooter to just provide the .MOVs from the camera and he's going to do that.

Thanks
Harry

Carlo Macchiavello June 11th, 2011 04:42 AM

Hi Harry, try to add the trial of this codec Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview
may be your partner use it under imovie...
but it's very strange be cause usually this kind of codec under mac are avaible only if you have final cut installed.
Anyway, if you have a small clip to download, i can load under mac and i can tell you if is a codec that is possible to have under window or not.
you can send me a PM

Harry Simpson June 11th, 2011 01:40 PM

I don't own a MAC so I'm dependent on the MOV being standard. Quicktime on my PC won't recognize the file! Weird eh?

Greg Booth June 12th, 2011 03:14 AM

Hi Harry,

QuickTime .MOV is a file format that can hold many different types of video compression. If the MOV file was imported into iMovie then there's a really high probability that it was converted into a MOV file with the 'Apple Intermediate Codec' as that's the video compression that iMovie is optimized to work in (i.e. 'AIC' MOV files). If that's the case, then you need a Mac OSX computer (but you don't need FCP on the computer) to read 'Apple Intermediate Codec' compressed MOV files, as that video codec does not exist with QuickTime on Windows.

If you open the MOV file in QuickTime Player 7.6 on Windows - and the MOV file opens and you can hear the audio but it shows black on the video screen (and you may get a message box saying you need to download additional software to decompress the video) - you should be able to go to the Menu Bar in QuickTime Player and choose "Window->Show Movie Inspector" and the 'Movie Inspector' window should pop-up and in that window, under the 'Format' section', it should state the video and audio formats in the MOV file. If it says 'Apple Intermediate Codec' then you'll need a Mac OSX computer to view the video in the MOV file.

However if you try to open the MOV file in QuickTime Player 7.6 - and the MOV file does not open at all and you get a message saying 'This is not a file that QuickTime understands' or something like that - then that usually indicates a bad or corrupted MOV file.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Carlo Macchiavello June 12th, 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1657572)
I don't own a MAC so I'm dependent on the MOV being standard. Quicktime on my PC won't recognize the file! Weird eh?

Dear Harry,
Mov like Avi are not a standard, are a simple containers, with audio video content that can encoded in many different ways.

Like i cannot read an avi with video or audio codified with a custom windows codec under macOS, i cannot read some mov where audio video are codified with custom Mac only codec under windows.

cineform is multiplatform codec, but many other codec are not implemented on both platform in the same way, then something is windows only related, other mac only related.
i'm downloading file that you send me and i can tell you more later.

Bart Walczak June 13th, 2011 02:43 AM

PC Quicktime does not recognize XDCAM EX wrapped in MOV container. So far we have not found any solution to it except to rewrap it on Mac to mp4 files or transcode to other codec like ProRes.

Carlo Macchiavello June 15th, 2011 06:40 AM

try Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview
this may help you in your mixed environment Pc-Mac