DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   How to use proxies with HD Link with Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/497368-how-use-proxies-hd-link-vegas.html)

Jeff Harper June 19th, 2011 12:08 PM

How to use proxies with HD Link with Vegas

I have created proxy files for my new project using HD Link, but then I realized there is no "automatic" way to swap out files within my project at will, is there?

I visited and searched the Cineform support area, but that is pretty weak.

For example, using other programs that work within Vegas, such as Vasst gearshift for m2t files, I can click a button and swap out proxies for the orginal files at will within the Vegas project.

Because the proxies created with HD link have different extentions than the original files I also cannot just swap out folders, right?

So what to do?

David Newman June 19th, 2011 01:05 PM

Re: How to use proxies with HD Link with Vegas

CineForm files are not proxies for camera sources, they are the new online master. This why you aren't finding documentation, that is not a workflow we intended. They is a option to proxy CineForm files with lighter versions, but that is likely not what you need.

Jeff Harper June 19th, 2011 01:42 PM

"They (there) is a option to proxy CineForm files with lighter versions, but that is likely not what you need."

Sorry David I don't understand. Lighter versions of what, HD Link? HD link has proxy options aplenty, but you're saying they are not intended to be used as proxies, but as online masters? I do not know what an online master is. Googled it, can't find it, so I'm clueless, obviously.

I was surprised that there are proxy settings in the interface of HD Link, but no reference to this anywhwere.

The common use of proxy, I thought, was as a stand in, or substitute to edit with until it's time to render the project. I am mistaken?

David Newman June 19th, 2011 03:50 PM

Proxies in HDLink are for other CineForm files, typically for 4k or raw sources that are more demanding than the faster HD YUV files.

A more typical workflow, convert all your source, edit the resulting files which are more flexible and easier to use than the source, that is it. No proxies needed. Online is the term use to describe the opposite to offline which a proxy workflow. Online video editing is what we focus on. It is an old term from tape days

Jeff Harper June 19th, 2011 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
David, much appreciate your post. Let me start at the beginning to ensure I am on the right track.

To edit 720p footage with ease, and to have the ability to deliver the end product in both Bluray and DVD (I'd need to deliver both Bluray and DVD to this customer) would I then:

Use HD Link to convert to HD 720 cineform files, edit Cineform files Then I would render to Bluray specs from Vegas, or to 720x480i as desired? Does that sound like a sound workflow to give me the flexibility I need here? I believe Vegas will interlace the progressive footage just fine, right?

And the Cineform files produced (using the settings as shown in the attached image) will produce good results for Bluray?

Thanks for your assistance.

David Newman June 19th, 2011 06:20 PM

I wouldn't downscale in HDLink if one of my outputs is BLuRay, and would use High not Medium quality. Leave the scaler off. If you know your source is progressive, set that frame format.

Jeff Harper June 19th, 2011 06:34 PM

Got it, David, thanks much.

Yes, and for DVD I do not need to interlace out of Vegas either, that would be a stupid thing to do. Just leave it progressive when creating my mpeg.

Thanks again.