Cineform folks please respond - Neo3D issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform folks please respond - Neo3D issue

I posted something a few weeks ago and no response. I think it's incumbent upon Cineform to address this question with a genuine answer;

1. Why does ReMaster (Mac) not process M2TS files? They are greyed out in the import menu. The only MTS files ReMaster recognizes are those generated by the Panasonic 3DA1 camera. Generally you can rename an M2TS file with a .MTS extension, but that doesn't work in ReMaster.

2. Why does HDLink (Win) process M2TS picture data, but not audio

These are NOT the camera native MVC files but rather M2TS L/R separated files generated by Sony Content Management Utility which have picture and audio on them in M2TS files.

Since I bought the Mac version of Neo3D and not the Windows version, I am SOL, I'd really like an explanation of what is going on here. I use Firstlight successfully with Panasonic 3DA1, and XDCAM I-Frame 3D files.

I will gladly supply file samples for analysis if requested. I have read here or elsewhere that Neo3D will deal with MVC 3D material in future upgrades, but I have this problem to solve now - so Cineform please respond.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Cineform folks please respond - Neo3D issue

Cineform has a presence here in which they maintain a dialog about the features of their software with end users, but they have many times reminded us that they don't do individual tech support in public forums and always point people to their trouble ticket system when features don't seem to work as advertised. If you haven't already done so, file a trouble ticket with them at their web site.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Have done so. I know this isn't an "official" Cineform tech support forum but just thought I'd shout out to see if any users have had these issues.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Tourist

I've had great success with Cineform support. Submitting a ticket will get some answers. I do know that some upcoming new features will deal with your issue. I've been shooting with the new Panasonic 3D prototype camera and have run into the same problem. I've have to convert to ProRes first and it is a pain for sure but won't be painful much longer.

Best of luck,
Don Wilson
V3D films
Donny Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Jake from Cineform was definitely very helpful at figuring out a work around for both of these problems.

The Windows missing audio issue appears to be that the Sony NX3D1 camera records audio in the LPCM format and not in AC3 which is what Cineform expects. So there is a way to register that codec in the Windows library to make it work, but I haven't had access to a Windows/Neo3D machine yet to test it.

On the Mac side, the trick to processing M2TS/MTS files extracted from original MVC files is to not use the Import command but rather the Open command in Firstlight. Then one can convert the M2TS/MTS file(s) to Cinerform CFHD Left and Right, which can then be muxed together as a CF 3D file. It's a bit of a chore but works. There seems to be an audio sync issue with the CFHD files which Jake and I experienced on our computers but was not evident on the Cineform tech bench - but they are aware of it and working on it.

I'm hoping the Neo3D update that makes this a one-step procedure like the Import/3DA1 Pairs comes out soon, but for now kudos to Cineform Tech Support for getting me working on the Mac again.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase