DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink Error Converting Cineform AVI to MOV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/502853-hdlink-error-converting-cineform-avi-mov.html)

Ken Kaiser November 19th, 2011 02:26 PM

HDLink Error Converting Cineform AVI to MOV

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to convert Cineform AVI files to MOV to edit on a Mac using HDLink.

The first time I tried it seemed to work, but with no audio after the first 15 minutes (approx 1 hour clips).

Now I just get an error (attached jpg) and nothing happens. I have to get these delivered this weekend and seem stuck.

Any suggestions?

David Newman November 19th, 2011 07:12 PM

Re: HDLink Error Converting Cineform AVI to MOV

Expand the log window so the times of the error can be seen, or is this not the 15min case? AVIs will edit on the Mac.

Ken Kaiser November 19th, 2011 07:23 PM

I'll have to retry it to see the time, it's not on the screen anymore, but this happens as soon as I start it converting, right at the beginning.

The very first time I tried it, it looked like it worked, I got a 64Gb output file, and the video played, but the audio is only there for the beginning of the video.

I cannot get it even start converting now, tried on two different computers with multiple original AVI's. This error comes up as soon as I hit "convert".

I told the editor that they could use the AVI's I already have, but they still wanted me to convert them to MOV's.

Thanks,
Ken

David Newman November 19th, 2011 07:28 PM

Are you sure the sources are CineForm AVIs?

Ken Kaiser November 19th, 2011 07:34 PM

Yes they are. I shot the original footage on Canon HFG10 and XA10, did some cleanup work and exposure adjustments, etc... and added audio in Premeire Pro CS5.5, and exported them from Premiere Pro as Cineform AVI's.

Those AVI's are then imported into a new project as my master files. So far all seems OK. They play fine in PPCS5.5 or Windows Media Player, and I can edit them fine.

Another editor will be using the files on a Mac and wants them as MOV's, so I was trying to convert them for him to use.

David Newman November 20th, 2011 10:55 AM

Seem something must not be installed. You could try the shell rewrap.exe utility. Open a shell and type "rewrap" and it will tell you how to use it.

Ken Kaiser November 20th, 2011 01:14 PM

David, thanks for the prompt responses.

I tried the "rewrap", and it doesn't do anything.

I typed:

rewrap E:/source.avi F:/output.mov

And nothing seems to happen, just goes back to the prompt.

I also tried again using HDLink and confirmed that as soon as I start the convert process it fails immediately with the error previously posted.

In the meantime, I am trying to re-export from PPCS5.5 as a .MOV, but that is taking 5 hours per 1 hour clip, and I have 7 clips to process...so it is very very slow.

David Newman November 20th, 2011 02:09 PM

This could mean a quicktime update has broken us again (or you dont have quicktime installed.) You will likely need support to do a remote session on your PCs.

Jan Cannon November 20th, 2011 06:23 PM

I'm having a problem similar to Ken's. I am able to do the avi to mov conversion but the audio is never complete. On November 3 Jake said that he was able to reproduce the problem and was going to have an engineer take a look. Haven't heard anything since then.

Ken Kaiser November 21st, 2011 06:07 PM

I got a response from Jake to my trouble ticket today, confirming it is a known problem that they are working on. His response was:

"This is a known issue with HDLink right now. Our engineers are working on it.

What you can do in the meantime is use the Mac version of Neo to rewrap the AVI files to MOV files."

In the meantime I set up Premiere Pro to rexport as MOV. It works OK, just takes FOREVER!

Ken Kaiser December 27th, 2011 03:46 PM

Any update/fix for this issue yet...?

Bergen Brown June 23rd, 2013 12:56 PM

I realize this is a very old thread, but I've run into what sounds like the same issue attempting to rewrap a cineform 2k AVI file to a cineform 2k MOV file with HD Link. I'm on Windows 7, my client is using a Mac. Unfortunately, I didn't look to see if there was a reported error like mentioned at the start of this thread. I just started off the conversion and came back hours later when it was complete. I made it farther than 15 minutes but at some point near the middle of the MOV file which is a one hour and 13 minute movie, the sound stops, video is fine.

Just wonder if this issue was ever resolved. I'm going to try to re-render from After Effects to get around the issue but would love to know what is causing the error.

Using Cineform Studio Premium 1.3.2.170

Thanks.

Ken Kaiser December 19th, 2014 12:30 PM

Very old thread...never fixed to my knowledge. I completely reinstalled/updated and it still doesn't work. I guess Cineform/GoPro gave up on it.