DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform "Free" Version as Intermediate Codec for PPro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/508736-cineform-free-version-intermediate-codec-ppro.html)

Mitch Gates June 22nd, 2012 04:24 PM

Cineform "Free" Version as Intermediate Codec for PPro?

Hello,

I recently found out about the Cineform codec and was evaluating it as a solution as an intermediate compressor for editing in Premiere Pro on Windows (instead of using Avid DNxHD). I have downloaded and installed the Cineform Studio Free software on my Windows 7 64bit machine and have had success creating/reading Cineform AVI files in Premiere Pro CS4 (32bit) so far. However, when I try to create a Cineform Quicktime I get a "trial has expired" error even though I only installed two days ago. Overall I am a bit confused as to the true nature of the licensing of your codecs and how that inter-relates to the different versions of the "Studio" software. Here are my main questions...

-What are the limitations on the codecs included in the Free version of CinePro Studio?

-Is only AVI supported for saving on "Studio Free" Windows version?

-Does the license every expire?

-What benefits are included in the $299 version vs. the Free one?

-Is the codec supported in Premiere Pro CS6? I plan to upgrade soon.

Thanks,
Mitch

David Newman June 22nd, 2012 05:49 PM

Re: Cineform "Free" Version as Intermediate Codec for PPro?

> What are the limitations on the codecs included in the Free version of CinePro Studio?

4:2:2 color space only, no 4:4:4:(4) or RAW space encoding.

> Is only AVI supported for saving on "Studio Free" Windows version?

No, both MOV and AVI are supported on Windows.

>-Does the license every expire?

Never expires

> What benefits are included in the $299 version vs. the Free one?

The full codec, and much more feature rich conversion and color correction suite. Free is targeted to GoPro camera users, with the side bonus of DSLR support for Canon and Nikon, all other camera type require the full $299 package.

> Is the codec supported in Premiere Pro CS6? I plan to upgrade soon.

Yes, CS6 support is included.

I expect the license error is an anomaly that support can help you with (support@cineform.com.)

Mitch Gates June 23rd, 2012 06:17 AM

I've tried exporting QT from CS5 PPro (via Media Encoder), After Effects and Eyeon Fusion 6.2 and all of them result in this error...

---------------------------
Activation Failed
The trial period for the CineForm QuickTime codec has expired.
Please contact CineForm support to activate this software.
(Activation code: invalid).
OK

Media Encoder actually crashes when I attempt to start the render. I've tried both 720x486 and 1920x1080 output size and quality at everything from 25 to 100. 4:4:4 is off.

Any ideas?

David Newman June 23rd, 2012 09:10 AM

What version of the software are you running?

Mitch Gates June 24th, 2012 06:33 AM

I'm running the latest version - 1.2.1.129

Markus Klatt June 28th, 2012 01:20 PM

@Mitch
How did you export the avi with Cineform codec, please? Did you export in format "Cineform AVI" or did you export in format "Microsoft AVI" and then choose "GoPro-Cineform Codec (x64)" as codec within the Microsoft AVI wrapper?

I used NeoScene till now on PP CS5 on Win7 64bit and exported my edited timelines in format "Cineform AVI". After reading your post I though it would be time to use a newer codec version, uninstalled NeoScene, installed GoPro Studio Free ... and "Cineform AVI" + "MOV" are not in the export format list in PP CS5 anymore.

@David
Does GoPro Studio Free deliver the former Cineform AVI + MOV export formats as NeoScene does it?
Is this a CS5 / CS6 difference?
If not, would I be able to use the last NeoScene version in CS6? I only use it for intermediate avi export.

Thanks in advance!

Markus Klatt July 7th, 2012 06:10 AM

Sorry for asking again:

I've tried the GoPro Cineform Studio trial, and it comes with the Cineform AVI and MOV exporting formats as expected. After uninstalling the trial and installing the Studio free version again, there is no exporting format for Cineform AVI and MOV. (I've deinstalled but did not deactivate my NeoScene before).

Just to be sure: the free version does not deliver the AVI and MOV export formats but the codec only?
If I want the Cineform AVI + MOV exporting formats then I have to use either my NeoScene or buy a GoPro Studio?

Thank you in advance for a short answer. I am just confused because one could read Mitch's words, that the free version would bring the exporters too:

Quote:

I have downloaded and installed the Cineform Studio Free software on my Windows 7 64bit machine and have had success creating/reading Cineform AVI files in Premiere Pro CS4 (32bit) so far.

David Newman July 7th, 2012 09:58 AM

It is all supposed to work we are still tracking down these issues.

Two issues I'm aware of
1) The CineForm AVI and CineForm MOV export options from Premiere Pro don't work from CineForm Studio free, yet are fine within Premium or Professional versions. The free version is only supposed to lose 4:4:4 and 4K support. The driver AVI export work through the VFW codec.

2) Direct QuickTime exports are failing with a licensing error, which it should not.

Markus Klatt July 7th, 2012 10:15 AM

Thank you David for the quick reply!
So I will be patiented and use my NeoScene for a while, no problem. I just was wondering, if I was doing something wrong or misunderstood it.

Good look in solving these little issues. Thanks a lot!

David Newman July 7th, 2012 01:38 PM

Please try this beta, should solve both issues.

https://software.gopro.com.s3.amazon...kXjgBNCUyTI%3D

Link is good for 48 hours.

Joe Shaw July 9th, 2012 06:00 AM

David,

Just to add - I am also seeing this license error. I'm trying to export Quicktime from AE on a PC.

I too had Neoscene installed previously if that makes a difference.

I tried the beta link you provided and the problem remains,

Thanks

Matt Thomas July 17th, 2012 01:21 PM

I get this error when trying to export to Cineform .mov in Premiere Pro CS6 too, Can export into a Cineform .avi though, strange.

Craig Irving July 30th, 2012 12:18 PM

We have a lot of GoPro footage to ingest into our Avid Systems. Can we use the free Go Pro Cineform Studio, export to Cineform codec, and link to AMA in Avid Media Composer 5.x? I am used to using Cineform with Adobe and I am not too familiar with the Avid workflow. Since our Avid edit station is different from our ingest/transcode workstation, I presume our Avid station would also require installing the Cineform decoder. Is it still possible to download only the codec, or would I need to install the entire GoPro Free Studio? Forgive me if I should have started a new thread, but I felt it was closely related and probably a similar workflow to Adobe.