Gamma settings with Sony Vegas.. I'm a bit confused now. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Gamma settings with Sony Vegas.. I'm a bit confused now.

Over the past few years when editing Cineform files in Sony Vegas (I'm still using v10), I've been using the Sony Color Corrector 'Studio RGB to Computer RGB' preset to view any video I'm editing with correct gamma settings. But turn it off when rendering back to a Cineform AVI. And out of habit, I still find myself using HD Link and Firstlight.

But I've I've just made the effort to start using GoPro Cineform Studio, at least for colouring or making adjustments to my clips. Earlier tonight I had a clip I'd rendered out from Vegas that I'd used a Boris Red plugin on. I loaded that into Cineform studio to tweak the colours and noticed it still looked much the same as it did in Vegas without the 'Studio RGB to Computer RGB' preset. Anyway, adjustments were made to make it look nice. I then opened the clip back in Vegas to render out a WMV file, which I would normally leave the 'Studio RGB to Computer RGB' preset turned on to keep the gamma the same when rendering. But this time I didn't need that. The gamma appeared the same as it did in Cineform Studio.

So I'm just not sure what's going on here. Does Cineform Studio use the same gamma as Vegas now? Even when I open the file in Media Player classic, the gamma is still the same and doesn't look any different than in Vegas, which previously would never happen.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re: Gamma settings with Sony Vegas.. I'm a bit confused now.

Nothing has changed. The only way I an think that you many have a seemless workflow, if you exported as 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2, support StudioRGB in 4:4:4 is more common. Otherwise, good news I guess.
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David. Although I don't remember changing that, and it's still set to YUV 4:2:2. But I might give Studio RGB 4:4:4 a try if it's more common and eliminates the need for that gamma conversion.
I'll do a few tests and see how it goes.
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Note: this is not a gamma issue, rather a black/white level different better video system and computer RGB. Gamma issues are Mac/QuickTime related, so you don't have that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase