DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   M2t Conversion Cuts Short - Neoscene (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/512179-m2t-conversion-cuts-short-neoscene.html)

Alex DeJesus November 19th, 2012 01:29 AM

M2t Conversion Cuts Short - Neoscene

I finally got around to using a trial version of Neoscene to captue and convert files for CS6 Premiere Pro. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when I convert existing files to Cineform the resulting file is cut short. I tried two m2t files recorded onto a Datavideo DN60 connected to a Canon XHA1s. Each file about 30 minutes long - it only converted the first 2 minute or so. At least that's how it imports into Premiere. When I play the file in Windows (outside of Premiere) it plays the entire length.

Tape capture seems to work okay, except the scene detect (or split) function cuts the clips in different spots compared to capturing HDV in Premiere. Could have been a glitch.

Bob Hart November 19th, 2012 10:27 AM

Re: M2t Conversion Cuts Short - Neoscene

Maybe you need to click on the "Prefs" tab on bottom right corner of HDLink tile then in the new tile, deselect or untick the split file on scene changes option which is in a field to the left titled "Scene Detection (HDV).

I don't know if it remains a characteristic in the newer revisions of HDLink but back a few generations, a glitch or pixellation swarm in the captured m2t file would be enough to set off the split file function. The conversion would sometimes stop there.

I also found that it was better not to have another application running when using HDLink to convert a m2t file. This was my own individual experience and not necessarily the norm.

Alex DeJesus November 19th, 2012 11:41 AM

I do get pixelated artifacts at the beginning of some of the captured clips. By the way, Neoscene won't convert HDV clips that have already been captured. Only direct from tape.

I also record onto an external untit caled a DN60, which creates m2t files.When I convert those in Cineform, the resulting files are playable outside of Premiere. But when I bring it into Premiere, only a minute or so shows up in the timeline, out of 30 minute clip. Not sure if it's a characetristic of the trial version.

Bob Hart November 19th, 2012 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay. I am not familiar with Neoscene, so I can only guess. If you are able to access HDLink in its standalone form from the Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Cineform > Neo(scene) > HDLink, then you should be able to choose to capture without simultaneous conversion from m2t to cineform happening.

If you can get HDLink to open as a standalone application, then click on the "prefs" button on the bottom right corner and when that tile comes up, select capture only the m2t file. Then in a separate operation, convert that file to a cineform file. It is good for housekeeping to destine your cineform converts to another folder. Making that happen may be a bit confusing at first.

If you cannot get into HDLink as a standalone application, then it may be up to others more wise than I to contribute their knowledge which I hope they will do anyway.

I hope this assists in the meantime.

FOOTNOTE: Another feature I have not previously observed that got by me during updates is a function titled "concatenate chunks". I think this may be for dealing with long takes split across several files in attached hard disk recorders using FAT32 which has a file size limit. Even some memory recorders use FAT32 because of some licencing issue.

That concatenate chunk function is not likely to fix your broken file issue from camcorder capture.

However your truncated clips issue from your DN60 may be a different beast as it may be recording to FAT32 formatted disk or memory. The concatenate chunks function might assist you with the issue of truncated clips from your DN60 recorder when you convert those files. The ability to play DN60-originated files in one piece in other playback applications may not have been enabled within your Premiere environment. That would be my next course of investigation if the clips are otherwise good.

Somewhere in there either in Premiere or Neo, when using cineform codec within Premiere, there may be a preference which can be ticked to enable concatenation of files split across FAT32 partitions. Others will have to advise you on this.

My personal preference is to do my file conversions outside of Premiere, then start a project and import the converted files. Whilst Premiere these days can do lots of wondrous things and now assemble clips of different codecs, this consumes additional resources compared to bringing in clips of one standard.

Alex DeJesus November 20th, 2012 12:33 AM

Cineform tech support said that Neoscene does not include the file importer for Premiere CS6. They sent me a link to Cineform Studio, which does, and it works fine. Both apps now capture and convert previously captured files. The entire files can be seen in Premiere.

There is no HDLink.I guess Neoscene is the standalone product.